Estimating discriminatory power and PD curves when the number of defaults is small
The intention with this paper is to provide all the estimation concepts and techniques that are needed to implement a two-phases approach to the parametric estimation of probability of default (PD) curves. In the first phase of this approach, a raw PD curve is estimated based on parameters that reflect discriminatory power. In the second phase of the approach, the raw PD curve is calibrated to fit a target unconditional PD. The concepts and techniques presented include a discussion of different definitions of area under the curve (AUC) and accuracy ratio (AR), a simulation study on the performance of confidence interval estimators for AUC, a discussion of the one-parametric approach to the estimation of PD curves by van der Burgt (2008) and alternative approaches, as well as a simulation study on the performance of the presented PD curve estimators. The topics are treated in depth in order to provide the full rationale behind them and to produce results that can be implemented immediately.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cramer,J. S., 2011.
"Logit Models from Economics and Other Fields,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521188036.
- Pagan,Adrian & Ullah,Aman, 1999.
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521355643.
- Roger Newson, 2002. "Parameters behind "nonparametric" statistics: Kendall's tau,Somers' D and median differences," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 2(1), pages 45-64, February.
- Roger Newson, 2006. "Confidence intervals for rank statistics: Percentile slopes, differences, and ratios," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 6(4), pages 497-520, December.
- Alexander Shapiro & Jos Berge, 2002. "Statistical inference of minimum rank factor analysis," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 67(1), pages 79-94, March.
- Stephen Satchel & Wei Xia, 2006. "Analytic Models of the ROC Curve: Applications to Credit Rating Model Validation," Research Paper Series 181, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Roger Newson, 2006. "Confidence intervals for rank statistics: Somers' D and extensions," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 6(3), pages 309-334, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:0905.3928. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.