The k-dissimilar vehicle routing problem
In this paper we define a new problem, the aim of which is to find a set of k dissimilar alternative solutions for a vehicle routing problem (VRP) on a single instance. This problem has several practical applications in the cash-in-transit sector and in the transportation of hazardous materials. A min-max mathematical formulation is developed that minimizes the objective function value of the worst solution. A distance measure is defined based on the edges shared between pairs of alternative solutions. An iterative heuristic algorithm to generate k dissimilar alternative solutions is also presented. The solution approach is tested using large and medium size benchmark instances for the capacitated vehicle routing problem.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Prinsstraat 13, B-2000 Antwerpen|
Web page: https://www.uantwerp.be/en/faculties/applied-economic-sciences/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jin Y. Yen, 1971. "Finding the K Shortest Loopless Paths in a Network," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 17(11), pages 712-716, July.
- Azevedo, JoseAugusto & Santos Costa, Maria Emilia O. & Silvestre Madeira, Joaquim Joao E. R. & Vieira Martins, Ernesto Q., 1993. "An algorithm for the ranking of shortest paths," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 97-106, August.
- Helsgaun, Keld, 2000. "An effective implementation of the Lin-Kernighan traveling salesman heuristic," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 126(1), pages 106-130, October.
- Akgun, Vedat & Erkut, Erhan & Batta, Rajan, 2000. "On finding dissimilar paths," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 121(2), pages 232-246, March.
- van Leeuwen, P. H. & Volgenant, A., 1983. "Solving symmetric vehicle routing problems asymmetrically," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 12(4), pages 388-393, April.
- Dell'Olmo, Paolo & Gentili, Monica & Scozzari, Andrea, 2005. "On finding dissimilar Pareto-optimal paths," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 162(1), pages 70-82, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ant:wpaper:2013029. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joeri Nys)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.