Intra-industry benchmarking of SG&A expenses: A neo-institutional perspective
In this paper we study conformity tendencies in SG&A (Selling, General and Administrative expenses) reporting from a mimetic imitation perspective. We explore intra-industry conformity tendencies in reported SG&A relative to sales over a ten-year period among a sample of US firms. We measure conformity by comparing a firm’s SG&A profile against a reference group of industry model firms. Results suggest that a firm’s imitation of successful firms’ SG&A profiles is determined by the tendency of other industry members to imitate those reference models. Moreover, results suggest that the mimetic process is strengthened with higher environmental uncertainty and that large auditor networks function as facilitators for this type of socially-based imitation behavior. Different modes of trait imitation in SG&A reporting seem to coexist as long as the reference groups are defined in terms of size and profitability.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://www.uantwerp.be/en/faculties/applied-economic-sciences/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- W. Aerts, 2001. "Inertia in the attributional content of annual accounting narratives," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(1), pages 3-32.
- Burgstahler, David & Dichev, Ilia, 1997. "Earnings management to avoid earnings decreases and losses," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 99-126, December.
- Chalmers, Keryn & Godfrey, Jayne M., 2004. "Reputation costs: the impetus for voluntary derivative financial instrument reporting," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 95-125, February.
- DeAngelo, Linda Elizabeth, 1981. "Auditor size and audit quality," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 183-199, December.
- Degeorge, François & Patel, U & Zeckhauser, Richard, 1998.
"Earnings Management to Exceed Thresholds,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1790, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Aerts, Walter & Cormier, Denis & Magnan, Michel, 2006. "Intra-industry imitation in corporate environmental reporting: An international perspective," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 299-331.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ant:wpaper:2006032. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joeri Nys)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.