Economically Feasible Crop Production Alternatives to Peanuts in Southwestern Oklahoma
Changes in the U.S. peanut program have resulted in drastically decreased planted acres and forced many peanut producers in the Southwest to consider alternative crops. This study examined the economic risk associated with producing peanuts and common alternatives to peanuts. Seedless watermelon is an alternative for risk preferring farmers whereas, irrigated peanut is the best choice for risk averse farmers.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.saea.org/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chvosta, Jan & Rucker, Randal R. & Thurman, Walter N., 2001. "Peanut Quota Markets And Peanut Production After Fair," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20557, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- McCarl, Bruce A., 1988.
"Preference Among Risky Prospects Under Constant Risk Aversion,"
Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 20(02), December.
- McCarl, Bruce A., 1988. "Preference Among Risky Prospects Under Constant Risk Aversion," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(02), pages 25-34, December.
- Pease, James W. & Lehman, John & Orden, David, 2001. "Proposed End Of Peanut Quota Program: Economic Effects On Virginia Producers," Report Papers 14845, Virginia Tech, Rural Economic Analysis Program (REAP).
- Borges, Robert B., 1995. "Trade And The Political Economy Of Agricultural Policy: The Case Of The United States Peanut Program," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 27(02), December.
- Rucker, Randal R & Thurman, Walter N, 1990. "The Economic Effects of Supply Controls: The Simple Analytics of the U.S. Peanut Program," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 33(2), pages 483-515, October.
- Thurman, Walter N. & Chvosta, Jan & Brown, Blake A. & Rucker, Randal R., 2003. "The End Of Supply Controls: The Economic Effects Of Recent Change In Federal Peanut Policy," 2003 Annual Meeting, February 1-5, 2003, Mobile, Alabama 35041, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
- Nayga, Rodolfo M. & Borges, Robert B., 1995. "Trade and the Political Economy of Agricultural Policy: The Case of the United States Peanut Program," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 27(02), pages 595-612, December. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:saeaso:35377. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.