Economically Feasible Crop Production Alternatives to Peanuts in Southwestern Oklahoma
Changes in the U.S. peanut program have resulted in drastically decreased planted acres and forced many peanut producers in the Southwest to consider alternative crops. This study examined the economic risk associated with producing peanuts and common alternatives to peanuts. Seedless watermelon is an alternative for risk preferring farmers whereas, irrigated peanut is the best choice for risk averse farmers.
|Date of creation:||2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.saea.org/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chvosta, Jan & Rucker, Randal R. & Thurman, Walter N., 2001. "Peanut Quota Markets And Peanut Production After Fair," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20557, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- McCarl, Bruce A., 1988. "Preference Among Risky Prospects Under Constant Risk Aversion," Southern Journal of Agricultural Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 20(02), December.
- Borges, Robert B., 1995. "Trade And The Political Economy Of Agricultural Policy: The Case Of The United States Peanut Program," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 27(02), December.
- Rucker, Randal R & Thurman, Walter N, 1990. "The Economic Effects of Supply Controls: The Simple Analytics of the U.S. Peanut Program," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 33(2), pages 483-515, October.
- Pease, James W. & Lehman, John & Orden, David, 2001. "Proposed End Of Peanut Quota Program: Economic Effects On Virginia Producers," Report Papers 14845, Virginia Tech, Rural Economic Analysis Program (REAP).
- Thurman, Walter N. & Chvosta, Jan & Brown, Blake A. & Rucker, Randal R., 2003. "The End Of Supply Controls: The Economic Effects Of Recent Change In Federal Peanut Policy," 2003 Annual Meeting, February 1-5, 2003, Mobile, Alabama 35041, Southern Agricultural Economics Association.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:saeaso:35377. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.