U.S. Grain Handling And Transportation System: Factors Contributing To The Dynamic Changes In The 1980s And 1990s
This paper describes the important changes that occurred in the U.S. grain handling and transportation system in the period following deregulation in 1980. This system has evolved and will continue to do so in response to technological and institutional changes, competitive pressures and a changed regulatory regime. The effect has been to induce investments throughout the system ultimately to improve the efficiency. Some of the important rail innovations include the use of rate discounts to induce more efficient movements from origins first, and more recently at destinations. In addition, each railroad has adopted car allocation systems comprising of several mechanisms, giving shippers logistical choices which have also facilitated more efficient allocation of cars among shippers. Finally, a number of important implications for the Canadian industry are identified as it evolves through its forthcoming changes.
|Date of creation:||1998|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: PO Box 5636, Fargo, ND 58105-5636|
Phone: (701) 231-7441
Web page: http://www.ext.nodak.edu/homepages/aedept/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wilson, William W. & Priewe, Steven R. & Dahl, Bruce L., 1998.
"Forward Shipping Options For Grain By Rail: A Strategic Risk Analysis,"
Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics,
Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 23(02), December.
- Priewe, Steven R. & Wilson, William W., 1997. "Forward Shipping Options For Grain By Rail: A Strategic Risk Analysis," Agricultural Economics Reports 23414, North Dakota State University, Department of Agribusiness and Applied Economics.
- Wilson, Wesley W, 1994. "Market-Specific Effects of Rail Deregulation," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(1), pages 1-22, March.
- Wilson, Wesley W, 1997. "Cost Savings and Productivity in the Railroad Industry," Journal of Regulatory Economics, Springer, vol. 11(1), pages 21-40, January.
- Wilson, William W. & Dahl, Bruce L., 1997. "Bidding On Railcars For Grain: A Strategic Analysis," Agricultural Economics Reports 23168, North Dakota State University, Department of Agribusiness and Applied Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:nddaes:23081. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.