The Lewis Model After Fifty Years
The article reassesses the contribution of Sir Arthur Lewis's 1954 article entitled "Economic Development with Unlimited Supplies of Labour" to our understanding of economic development, and to the establishment of development economics as an academic discipline. It argues that Lewis's key insight into the structural dualism characterising developing countries mapped out a new and distinctive field for development economics and policy. The article has had a profound impact over the last fifty years and continues to yield valuable lessons for understanding the nature of economic transformation.
|Date of creation:||2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Harold Hankins Building, Precinct Centre, Booth Street West, Manchester, M13 9QH|
Web page: http://www.sed.manchester.ac.uk/idpm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gary S. Fields, 2004. "Dualism In The Labor Market: A Perspective On The Lewis Model After Half A Century," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 72(6), pages 724-735, December.
- Lewis, W Arthur, 1979. "The Dual Economy Revisited," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 47(3), pages 211-229, September.
- Bourguignon, Francois & Morrisson, Christian, 1998.
"Inequality and development: the role of dualism,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 57(2), pages 233-257.
- Bourguignon, F. & Morrisson, C., 1995. "Inequality and Development: The Role of Dualism," DELTA Working Papers 95-32, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Lewis, Arthur, 1980. "Autobiography," Nobel Prize in Economics documents 1979-4, Nobel Prize Committee.
- Ranis, Gustav & Stewart, Frances, 1999. "V-Goods and the Role of the Urban Informal Sector in Development," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 47(2), pages 259-288, January.
- Leeson, P F, 1979. "The Lewis Model and Development Theory," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 47(3), pages 196-210, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)