What is the productivity change of a university TTOs system at its early stage of development? Evidence from France
This paper assesses the performance in technology transfer operated by the French university system adopting a Malmquist approach within an inferential setting. It investigates an original and unique database of French TTOs over their first development time. We find an overall weak increase in productivity, driven by technology and organisational improvement related to a small number of TTOs. More specifically, most TTOs show a stable innovative behaviour (i.e. no significant technical change) and only half of the system experiences a decline in efficiency change suggesting the lack of one best business model able to fit the entire system. Finally, we find that, on average, the presence of university-related hospital dampens TTOsÃ efficiency and TTOÂ¥s seniority has a positive effect on productivity, enhancing simultaneously efficiency and innovation
|Date of creation:||Mar 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Phone: +390677274140|
Fax: +39 0677274129
Web page: http://www.dis.uniroma1.it
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jerry G. Thursby & Marie C. Thursby, 2000.
"Who is Selling the Ivory Tower? Sources of Growth in University Licensing,"
NBER Working Papers
7718, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jerry G. Thursby & Marie C. Thursby, 2002. "Who Is Selling the Ivory Tower? Sources of Growth in University Licensing," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 48(1), pages 90-104, January.
- Donald S. Siegel & Reinhilde Veugelers & Mike Wright, 2007. "Technology transfer offices and commercialization of university intellectual property: performance and policy implications," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 23(4), pages 640-660, Winter.
- Siegel, Donald S. & Waldman, David & Link, Albert, 2003. "Assessing the impact of organizational practices on the relative productivity of university technology transfer offices: an exploratory study," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 27-48, January.
- Claudia Curi & Cinzia Daraio & Patrick Llerena, 2012.
"University technology transfer: how (in)efficient are French universities?,"
Cambridge Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 36(3), pages 629-654.
- Claudia Curi & Cinzia Daraio & Patrick Llerena, 2012. "University Technology Transfer: How (in-)efficient are French universities?," Working Papers of BETA 2012-02, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- Claudia Curi & Cinzia Daraio & Maria Patrick Llerena, 2012. "University Technology Transfer: How (in-)efficient are French universities?," DIS Technical Reports 2012-02, Department of Computer, Control and Management Engineering, Universita' degli Studi di Roma "La Sapienza".
- Henry Etzkowitz, 2002. "Incubation of incubators: innovation as a triple helix of university-industry-government networks," Science and Public Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 29(2), pages 115-128, April.
- Simar, Leopold & Wilson, Paul W., 1999.
"Estimating and bootstrapping Malmquist indices,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 115(3), pages 459-471, June.
- Wendy Chapple & Andy Lockett & Donald S. Siegel & Mike Wright, 2004.
"Assessing the Relative Performance of U.K. University Technology Transfer Offices: Parametric and Non-Parametric Evidence,"
Rensselaer Working Papers in Economics
0423, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Department of Economics.
- Chapple, Wendy & Lockett, Andy & Siegel, Donald & Wright, Mike, 2005. "Assessing the relative performance of U.K. university technology transfer offices: parametric and non-parametric evidence," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 369-384, April.
- Donald Siegel & Mike Wright & Wendy Chapple & Andy Lockett, 2008. "Assessing The Relative Performance Of University Technology Transfer In The Us And Uk: A Stochastic Distance Function Approach," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(7-8), pages 717-729.
- Caldera, Aida & Debande, Olivier, 2010. "Performance of Spanish universities in technology transfer: An empirical analysis," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(9), pages 1160-1173, November.
- Daraio, Cinzia & Bonaccorsi, Andrea & Geuna, Aldo & Lepori, Benedetto & Bach, Laurent & Bogetoft, Peter & F. Cardoso, Margarida & Castro-Martinez, Elena & Crespi, Gustavo & de Lucio, Ignacio Fernandez, 2011. "The European university landscape: A micro characterization based on evidence from the Aquameth project," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 148-164, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aeg:report:2013-03. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Antonietta Angelica Zucconi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.