Inflation Persistence and Labour Market Frictions: An Estimated Efficiency Wage Model of the Australian Economy
The purpose of this paper is to evaluate whether adding labour market frictions improves the basic New Keynesian model's ability to generate greater inflation persistence and plausible labour market dynamics. This paper builds and compares two sticky price models, one of which is augmented by an efficiency wage model of the labour market. The efficiency wage model is motivated by fair wage considerations, which add a real rigidity to the model that complements nominal price rigidities common to both models. The two models are then extended to capture a series of backward looking behaviours typically used to generate inflation persistence. The key contribution of this paper is that the proposed models are estimated using Bayesian maximum likelihood techniques and Australian data. The results presented show that by adding real wage rigidity, the models' internal propogation and labour market dynamics are significantly improved. The results also demonstrate that the conclusions made elsewhere in the literature using simulated models can be extended to models estimated using Bayesian methods.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2010|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Adelaide SA 5005|
Phone: (618) 8303 5540
Web page: http://www.economics.adelaide.edu.au/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David de la Croix & Gregory de Walque & Rafael Wouters, 2006.
"Dynamics and monetary policy in a fair wage model of the business cycle,"
Working Paper Research
98, National Bank of Belgium.
- DE LA CROIX, David & DE WALQUE, Gregory & WOUTERS, Rafael, 2006. "Dynamics and monetary policy in a fair wage model of the business cycle," CORE Discussion Papers 2006106, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Wouters, Raf & de Walque, Gregory & de la Croix, David, 2007. "Dynamics and monetary policy in a fair wage model of the business cycle," Working Paper Series 780, European Central Bank.
- David, DE LA CROIX & Gregory, DE WALQUE & Rafael, WOUTERS, 2006. "Dynamics and monetary policy in a fair wage model of the business cycle," Discussion Papers (ECON - Département des Sciences Economiques) 2006061, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- de la Croix, David & de Walque, Gregory & Wouters, Rafael, 2009. "A Note On Inflation Persistence In A Fair Wage Model Of The Business Cycle," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(05), pages 673-684, November.
- David de la Croix & Gregory de Walque & Rafael Wouters, 2006. "Dynamics and monetary policy in a fair wage model of the business cycle," Working Paper Research 98, National Bank of Belgium.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:adl:wpaper:2010-15. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Eran Binenbaum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.