Social Equivalent of Free Energy
Characterisation of unbounded resources of a social system within the sociological interpretation has resulted in a large number of different notions, which are relevant in different situations. From the view point of statistical mechanics, these notions resemble free energy. In this paper the concept of social free energy is introduced and first steps toward its development presented. The social free energy is a function equal to physical free energy appropriately determined for the social system, with intrinsically sociological interpretation as a measure of social action obtainable in a given social system without changes in its structure. Its construction is a consequence of response of a social system to recognised parts of environment dynamics. It is argued that development of a social system response resembles exciting the normal modes of a general, physical system. Classification-ACM-1998: J.4; Social and behavioral sciences - Sociology
Volume (Year): 2 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Adrian Dragulescu & Victor M. Yakovenko, 2000. "Statistical mechanics of money," Papers cond-mat/0001432, arXiv.org, revised Aug 2000.
- Gaveau, B. & Martinás, K. & Moreau, M. & Tóth, J., 2002. "Entropy, extropy and information potential in stochastic systems far from equilibrium," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 305(3), pages 445-466.
- McCauley, Joseph l., 2004. "Thermodynamic analogies in economics and finance: instability of markets," MPRA Paper 2159, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- McCauley, Joseph L., 2003. "Thermodynamic analogies in economics and finance: instability of markets," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 329(1), pages 199-212.
- Edward W. Piotrowski & Jan Sladkowski, .
"The Thermodynamics of Portfolios,"
Departmental Working Papers
2, University of Bialtystok, Department of Theoretical Physics.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521637695 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:zna:indecs:v:2:y:2004:i:1:p:53-60. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Josip Stepanic)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.