The challenge of combining quantitative and qualitative methods in Labour Force and livelihoods analysis: A case-study of Bangladesh
Development studies faces a major methodological challenge in combining large scale surveys of problematic accuracy in conceptualisation and measurement with local studies whose generalisation is questionable. This paper attempts to combine the overviews from highly aggregated quantitative Labour Force data, adjusted for child and underemployed labour, with insights from village level qualitative case studies to indicate the processes forming patterns of livelihoods in Bangladesh looking over a decade. Using this methodology the prognosis for the mass of people of Bangladesh is deeply worrying despite all their efforts to sustain and improve their income earning opportunities.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 8 (1996)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vijverberg, Wim P M, 1993.
"Labour Market Performance as a Determinant of Migration,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 60(238), pages 143-60, May.
- Vijverberg, W.P.M., 1989. "Labor Market Performance As A Determinant Of Migration," Papers 59, World Bank - Living Standards Measurement.
- Bilsborrow, Richard E., 1987. "Population pressures and agricultural development in developing countries: A conceptual framework and recent evidence," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 183-203, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:jintdv:v:8:y:1996:i:5:p:625-653. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.