Terms of trade shocks and the current account in a unified currency area
The recent debate over the European Union's banana import regime that ensued following the World Trade Organization ruling that found it to be illegal, has implications for those developing countries that rely on preferential access to this market. This paper finds that for those territories of the Eastern Caribbean Central Bank monetary union, the terms of trade shocks are not very persistent and have a large temporary component. In addition, the terms of trade shocks had a small impact on the current account. These shocks however had a larger impact on the supply side suggesting price sensitivity of farmers. Copyright © 2001 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 13 (2001)
Issue (Month): 8 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Beveridge, Stephen & Nelson, Charles R., 1981. "A new approach to decomposition of economic time series into permanent and transitory components with particular attention to measurement of the `business cycle'," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 151-174.
- Sen, Partha & Turnovsky, Stephen J., 1989.
"Deterioration of the terms of trade and capital accumulation: A re-examination of the Laursen-Metzler effect,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 26(3-4), pages 227-250, May.
- Partha Sen & Stephen J. Turnovsky, 1988. "Deterioration of the Terms of Trade and Capital Accumulation: A Reexamination of the Laursen-Metzler Effect," NBER Working Papers 2616, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1982.
"Aggregate Spending and the Terms of Trade: Is There a Laursen-Metzler Effect?,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 97(2), pages 251-270.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1981. "Aggregate Spending and the Terms of Trade: Is There a Laursen-Metzler Effect?," NBER Working Papers 0686, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hong Liang & C. John McDermott & Paul Cashin, 1999. "How Persistent Are Shocks to World Commodity Prices?," IMF Working Papers 99/80, International Monetary Fund.
- Serven, Luis, 1995.
"Terms-of-trade shocks and optimal investment : another look at the Laursen-Metzler effect,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1424, The World Bank.
- Serven, Luis, 1999. "Terms-of-trade shocks and optimal investment: another look at the Laursen-Metzler effect," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 337-365.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1985.
"Time Series Regression with a Unit Root,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
740R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Feb 1986.
- Cochrane, John H, 1988. "How Big Is the Random Walk in GNP?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(5), pages 893-920, October.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1983.
"Intertemporal price speculation and the optimal current-account deficit,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 135-145, August.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1983. "Intertemporal Price Speculation and the Optimal Current-Account Deficit," NBER Working Papers 1100, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Pierre Perron, 1986.
"Testing for a Unit Root in Time Series Regression,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
795R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Sep 1987.
- Phillips, P.C.B., 1986. "Testing for a Unit Root in Time Series Regression," Cahiers de recherche 8633, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "PPUNIT: RATS procedure to perform Phillips-Perron Unit Root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00160, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Svensson, Lars E O & Razin, Assaf, 1983. "The Terms of Trade and the Current Account: The Harberger-Laursen-Metzler Effect," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(1), pages 97-125, February.
- Paul Cashin & C. John McDermott, 1998. "Terms of Trade Shocks and the Current Account," IMF Working Papers 98/177, International Monetary Fund.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:jintdv:v:13:y:2001:i:8:p:1179-1188. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.