Terms of trade shocks and the current account in a unified currency area
The recent debate over the European Union's banana import regime that ensued following the World Trade Organization ruling that found it to be illegal, has implications for those developing countries that rely on preferential access to this market. This paper finds that for those territories of the Eastern Caribbean Central Bank monetary union, the terms of trade shocks are not very persistent and have a large temporary component. In addition, the terms of trade shocks had a small impact on the current account. These shocks however had a larger impact on the supply side suggesting price sensitivity of farmers. Copyright © 2001 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 13 (2001)
Issue (Month): 8 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1982.
"Aggregate Spending and the Terms of Trade: Is There a Laursen-Metzler Effect?,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 97(2), pages 251-70, May.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1981. "Aggregate Spending and the Terms of Trade: Is There a Laursen-Metzler Effect?," NBER Working Papers 0686, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Beveridge, Stephen & Nelson, Charles R., 1981. "A new approach to decomposition of economic time series into permanent and transitory components with particular attention to measurement of the `business cycle'," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 151-174.
- Maurice Obstfeld, 1983.
"Intertemporal Price Speculation and the Optimal Current-Account Deficit,"
NBER Working Papers
1100, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Obstfeld, Maurice, 1983. "Intertemporal price speculation and the optimal current-account deficit," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 135-145, August.
- Svensson, Lars E O & Razin, Assaf, 1983. "The Terms of Trade and the Current Account: The Harberger-Laursen-Metzler Effect," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(1), pages 97-125, February.
- Cashin, P. & McDermott, C.J., 1999.
"Terms of Trade Shocks and the Current Account,"
Department of Economics - Working Papers Series
678, The University of Melbourne.
- Hong Liang & C. John McDermott & Paul Cashin, 1999.
"How Persistent Are Shocks to World Commodity Prices?,"
IMF Working Papers
99/80, International Monetary Fund.
- Paul Cashin & Hong Liang & C. John McDermott, 2000. "How Persistent Are Shocks to World Commodity Prices?," IMF Staff Papers, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 47(2), pages 2.
- Sen, Partha & Turnovsky, Stephen J., 1989.
"Deterioration of the terms of trade and capital accumulation: A re-examination of the Laursen-Metzler effect,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 26(3-4), pages 227-250, May.
- Partha Sen & Stephen J. Turnovsky, 1988. "Deterioration of the Terms of Trade and Capital Accumulation: A Reexamination of the Laursen-Metzler Effect," NBER Working Papers 2616, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Phillips, P C B, 1987.
"Time Series Regression with a Unit Root,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 277-301, March.
- Tom Doan, . "PPUNIT: RATS procedure to perform Phillips-Perron Unit Root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00160, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1985. "Time Series Regression with a Unit Root," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 740R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Feb 1986.
- Serven, Luis, 1999.
"Terms-of-trade shocks and optimal investment: another look at the Laursen-Metzler effect,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 18(3), pages 337-365.
- Serven, Luis, 1995. "Terms-of-trade shocks and optimal investment : another look at the Laursen-Metzler effect," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1424, The World Bank.
- Cochrane, John H, 1988. "How Big Is the Random Walk in GNP?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(5), pages 893-920, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:jintdv:v:13:y:2001:i:8:p:1179-1188. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.