Trend and volatility in the net barter terms of trade, 1900-92: new results from the application of a (not so) new method
This paper argues that the trend and volatility in the terms of trade need to be treated not as separate phenomena but rather as 'twin-pillars' of the same underlying problem faced by LDCs; namely their heavy dependence on primary commodities (or more recently upon components and parts of manufactured goods) as a source of export revenue. The paper reports estimates relating to the magnitude of both the trend and volatility that occurred in the barter terms of trade since 1900. In particular, the authors report evidence to suggest that after 1972 there occurred a major increase in the trend rate deterioration of the net barter terms of trade and that this worsening trend was accompanied by a marked increase in volatility. Copyright © 1999 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 11 (1999)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- D. Sapsford & P. Sarkar & H. W. Singer, 1992. "The prebisch‐singer terms of trade controversy revisited," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 4(3), pages 315-332, 05.
- Bleaney, Michael F & Greenaway, David, 1993. "Long-Run Trends in the Relative Price of Primary Commodities and in the Terms of Trade of Developing Countries," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 45(3), pages 349-63, July.
- Cuddington, John T & Urzua, Carlos M, 1989. "Trends and Cycles in the Net Barter Terms of Trade: A New Approach," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 99(396), pages 426-42, June.
- David Sapsford & V.N.Balasubramanyam, .
"The Long-Run Behaviour of the Relative Price of Primary Commodities: Statistical Evidence and Policy Implications,"
ec7/94, Department of Economics, University of Lancaster.
- Sapsford, David & Balasubramanyam, V. N., 1994. "The long-run behavior of the relative price of primary commodities: Statistical evidence and policy implications," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 22(11), pages 1737-1745, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:jintdv:v:11:y:1999:i:6:p:851-857. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.