Trade liberalization in sub-Saharan Africa: stagnation or growth?
This paper argues that greater the liberalization of imports in a sub-Saharan African country, the more significant is the decline in its rate of growth due to excessive competitive imports. Furthermore, this result was strengthened during recession in high income economies during the late eighties and early nineties. This could be explained by the fact that when industrial countries are suffering from recession, the terms of trade may move in favour of developing countries as a result of a fall in the dollar price of importables. Moreover, it is shown in the paper that the decline in the dollar price of importables is positively related to the degree of import liberalization, and this association improves during recession in high income economies. The volume of competitive imports may not rise in this circumstance in a country that has a well designed 'interventionist' trade regime. Copyright © 1999 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 11 (1999)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mukhopadhyay, Hiranya, 1998. "Structural Adjustment Programs: Some New Findings," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 2(2), pages 191-210, June.
- Dani Rodrik, 1992. "The Limits of Trade Policy Reform in Developing Countries," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 6(1), pages 87-105, Winter.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:jintdv:v:11:y:1999:i:6:p:825-835. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.