A Bayesian approach to economic analyses of clinical trials: the case of stenting versus balloon angioplasty
New results about the costs and effects of a new therapy may be weighted with prior information. As such, classical confidence intervals surrounding the costs and effects of a therapy may not reflect the real uncertainties. Bayesian techniques may improve this by formalizing the way that prior information is taken into account in assessing the new evidence. Costs and effects can be analysed separately, but also, when considering the balance between costs and effects, they can be analysed simultaneously. Here, an example is given using data from two trials that compared costs and effectiveness of stent implantation with balloon angioplasty. The Bayesian results make it clear that different prior distributions may lead to different decisions, and it is concluded that even Bayesian analysis may not always reflect the process of capturing the remaining uncertainties. Copyright © 2000 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 9 (2000)
Issue (Month): 7 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/5749|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Daniel F. Heitjan & Alan J. Moskowitz & William Whang, 1999. "Bayesian estimation of cost-effectiveness ratios from clinical trials," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(3), pages 191-201.
- Andrew Briggs & Paul Fenn, 1998. "Confidence intervals or surfaces? Uncertainty on the cost-effectiveness plane," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 7(8), pages 723-740.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:hlthec:v:9:y:2000:i:7:p:599-609. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.