Allocating health care resources under risk: risk aversion and prudence matter
In a recent contribution to this journal, M. Hoel correctly shows that under risk aversion the allocation of health resources should be directed to health conditions for which the expected outcomes are below average. In this letter we show that besides risk aversion, the degree of absolute prudence (to be defined in the text) also matters to obtain an optimal allocation. Copyright © 2005 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 14 (2005)
Issue (Month): 10 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/5749|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Menezes, C & Geiss, C & Tressler, J, 1980. "Increasing Downside Risk," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(5), pages 921-32, December.
- Michael Hoel, 2003.
"Allocating health care resources when people are risk averse with respect to life time,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(7), pages 601-608.
- Hoel, Michael, 2009. "Allocating health care resources when people are risk averse with respect to life time," HERO On line Working Paper Series 2001:10, Oslo University, Health Economics Research Programme.
- Kimball, Miles S, 1990.
"Precautionary Saving in the Small and in the Large,"
Econometric Society, vol. 58(1), pages 53-73, January.
- Miles S. Kimball, 1989. "Precautionary Saving in the Small and in the Large," NBER Working Papers 2848, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- EECKHOUDT, Louis & Christian GOLLIER & Thierry SCHNEIDER, 1994.
"Risk Aversion, Prudence and Temperance : A Unified Approach,"
006, Risk and Insurance Archive.
- Eeckhoudt, Louis & Gollier, Christian & Schneider, Thierry, 1995. "Risk-aversion, prudence and temperance: A unified approach," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 48(3-4), pages 331-336, June.
- Joshua Graff Zivin, 2001. "Cost-effectiveness analysis with risk aversion," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(6), pages 499-508.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wly:hlthec:v:14:y:2005:i:10:p:1073-1077. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.