Deriving Benefit Measures with Higher Precision: A Study of Economic Values of Air Quality
A calibration strategy using ridge regression to generate more precise estimates for a particular parameter in a model is proposed. Formulae to compute the proposed ridge estimates from standard ordinary least squares (OLS) results are provided. The strategy is applied to recomputing marginal effects of air pollution on property values for 30 housing studies. Results show that ridge estimates are superior to the OLS estimates under the mean squared error criterion. The same strategy can be used to reestimate key parameters of interest in other applications, such as price elasticities for demand forecasts or the value of a statistical life from hedonic wage regressions.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chattopadhyay, Sudip, 1998. "An Empirical Investigation into the Performance of Ellickson's Random Bidding Model, with an Application to Air Quality Valuation," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 292-314, March.
- David E. Clark, 2006. "Externality Effects on Residential Property Values: The Example of Noise Disamenities," Growth and Change, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(3), pages 460-488.
- Atkinson, Scott E & Crocker, Thomas D, 1987. "A Bayesian Approach to Assessing the Robustness of Hedonic Property," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 2(1), pages 27-45, January.
- Robert J. Anderson JR & Thomas D. Crocker, 1971. "Air Pollution and Residential Property Values," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 8(3), pages 171-180, October.
- Brookshire, David S, et al, 1985. "A Test of the Expected Utility Model: Evidence from Earthquake Risks," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(2), pages 369-389, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uwp:landec:v:86:y:2010:iv:1:p:727-745. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.