Measuring the Technical Efficiency of Municipal Water Suppliers: The Role of Environmental Factors
This paper extends the multistage procedure set out by Fried, Schmidt, and Yaisawarng (1999) to examine the importance of environmental factors when assessing the technical efficiency of water agencies. However, following Simar and Wilson’s (2007) critique of multistage efficiency analyses, the paper uses a bootstrapping approach in order to have consistent inference. Data are from a cross-section of municipal water agencies in Ontario, Canada, during 1996. The main findings are that environmental factors explain some of the observed variation in efficiency scores and that water agencies’ relative efficiency scores are changed substantially after controlling for environmental factors.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harold Fried & Shelton Schmidt & Suthathip Yaisawarng, 1999. "Incorporating the Operating Environment Into a Nonparametric Measure of Technical Efficiency," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 12(3), pages 249-267, November.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Simar, Leopold & Wilson, Paul W., 2007. "Estimation and inference in two-stage, semi-parametric models of production processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 31-64, January.
- Pizer, William & Harrington, Winston & Shih, Jhih-Shyang & Gillingham, Kenneth, 2004. "Economies of Scale and Technical Efficiency in Community Water Systems," Discussion Papers dp-04-15, Resources For the Future.
- Yeti Nisha Madhoo, 2007. "International Trends In Water Utility Regimes," Annals of Public and Cooperative Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 78(1), pages 87-135, March.
- Kristof De Witte & Rui C. Marques, 2008. "Capturing the environment, a metafrontier approach to the drinking water sector," Working Papers Department of Economics ces0804, KU Leuven, Faculty of Economics and Business, Department of Economics.
- Byrnes, Patricia & Grosskopf, Shawna & Hayes, Kathy, 1986. "Efficiency and Ownership: Further Evidence," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 68(2), pages 337-341, May.
- ., 1998. "Scientific Explanation," Chapters,in: The Handbook of Economic Methodology, chapter 109 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Steven Renzetti, 1999. "Municipal Water Supply and Sewage Treatment: Costs, Prices and Distortions," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 32(3), pages 688-704, May.
- Anwandter, Lars & Ozuna, Teofilo Jr., 2002. "Can public sector reforms improve the efficiency of public water utilities?," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(04), pages 687-700, October.
- Conti, Maurizio, 2005. "Ownership Relative Efficiency in the Water Industry: A Survey of the International Empirical Evidence," Economia Internazionale / International Economics, Camera di Commercio Industria Artigianato Agricoltura di Genova, vol. 58(3), pages 273-306.
- Oecd, 1998. "Survey of OECD Work on International Investment," OECD Working Papers on International Investment 1998/1, OECD Publishing.