Environmental Factors Affecting Hong Kong Banking: A Post-Asian Financial Crisis Efficiency Analysis
Within the banking efficiency analysis literature there is a dearth of studies which have considered how banks have ‘survived’ the Asian financial crisis of the late 1990s. Considering the profound changes that have occurred in the region’s financial systems since then, such an analysis is both timely and warranted. This paper examines the evolution of Hong Kong’s banking industry’s efficiency and its macroeconomic determinants through the prism of two alternative approaches to banking production based on the intermediation and services-producing goals of bank management over the post-crisis period. Within this research strategy we employ Tone’s (2001) Slacks-Based Model (SBM) combining it with recent bootstrapping techniques, namely the non-parametric truncated regression analysis suggested by Simar and Wilson (2007) and Simar and Zelenyuk’s (2007) group-wise heterogeneous sub-sampling approach. We find that there was a significant negative effect on Hong Kong bank efficiency in 2001, which we ascribe to the fallout from the terrorist attacks in America in 9/11 and to the completion of deposit rate deregulation that year. However, post 2001 most banks have reported a steady increase in efficiency leading to a better ‘intermediation’ and ‘production’ of activities than in the base year of 2000, with the SARS epidemic having surprisingly little effect in 2003. It was also interesting to find that the smaller banks were more efficient than the larger banks, but the latter were also able to enjoy economies of scale. This size factor was linked to the exportability of financial services. Other environmental factors found to be significantly impacting on bank efficiency were private consumption and housing rent.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2008|
|Date of revision:||Jun 2008|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Loughborough, Leicestershire, LE11 3TU|
Phone: +44 (0) 1509 222701
Fax: +44 (0) 1509 223910
Web page: http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/sbe/research/economics/index.html
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Laeven, Luc & Majnoni, Giovanni, 2001.
"Loan loss provisioning and economic slowdowns : too much, too late?,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2749, The World Bank.
- Luc Laeven & Giovanni Majnoni, 2002. "Loan loss provisioning and economic slowdowns: too much too late?," Conference Series ; [Proceedings], Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Laeven, Luc & Majnoni, Giovanni, 2003. "Loan loss provisioning and economic slowdowns: too much, too late?," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 178-197, April.
- Ana Lozano-Vivas & Jesús Pastor & José Pastor, 2002. "An Efficiency Comparison of European Banking Systems Operating under Different Environmental Conditions," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 18(1), pages 59-77, July.
- Barbara Casu & Philip Molyneux, 2003.
"A comparative study of efficiency in European banking,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(17), pages 1865-1876.
- Barbara Casu & Philip Molyneux, 2000. "A Comparative Study of Efficiency in European Banking," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 00-17, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Sealey, Calvin W, Jr & Lindley, James T, 1977. "Inputs, Outputs, and a Theory of Production and Cost at Depository Financial Institutions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(4), pages 1251-66, September.
- Kenjegalieva, Karligash & Simper, Richard & Weyman-Jones, Tom & Zelenyuk, Valentin, 2009. "Comparative analysis of banking production frameworks in eastern european financial markets," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 198(1), pages 326-340, October.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Avkiran, Necmi K. & Rowlands, Terry, 2008. "How to better identify the true managerial performance: State of the art using DEA," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 317-324, April.
- Simar, Leopold & Wilson, Paul W., 2007. "Estimation and inference in two-stage, semi-parametric models of production processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 136(1), pages 31-64, January.
- Simar, Leopold & Zelenyuk, Valentin, 2004.
"On testing equality of distributions of technical efficiency scores,"
28003, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Leopold Simar & Valentin Zelenyuk, 2006. "On Testing Equality of Distributions of Technical Efficiency Scores," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 25(4), pages 497-522.
- Avkiran, Necmi K. & Thoraneenitiyan, Nakhun, 2010. "Purging data before productivity analysis," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 63(3), pages 294-302, March.
- Leslie E. Papke & Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 1993.
"Econometric Methods for Fractional Response Variables with an Application to 401(k) Plan Participation Rates,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0147, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Papke, Leslie E & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M, 1996. "Econometric Methods for Fractional Response Variables with an Application to 401(K) Plan Participation Rates," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(6), pages 619-32, Nov.-Dec..
- Lewis, Mervyn K. & Mizen, Paul D., 2000. "Monetary Economics," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198290629, December.
- N. Papanikolaou & M. Delis & S. Brissimis, 2008.
"Exploring the nexus between banking sector reform and performance: Evidence from newly acceded EU countries,"
DEOS Working Papers
0917, Athens University of Economics and Business.
- Brissimis, Sophocles N. & Delis, Manthos D. & Papanikolaou, Nikolaos I., 2008. "Exploring the nexus between banking sector reform and performance: Evidence from newly acceded EU countries," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(12), pages 2674-2683, December.
- Sophocles N. Brissimis & Manthos D. Delis & Nikolaos I. Papanikolaou, 2008. "Exploring the Nexus between Banking Sector Reform and Performance: Evidence from Newly Acceded EU Countries," Working Papers 73, Bank of Greece.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Drake, Leigh & Hall, Maximilian J. B., 2003. "Efficiency in Japanese banking: An empirical analysis," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 891-917, May.
- H. Fried & C. Lovell & S. Schmidt & S. Yaisawarng, 2002. "Accounting for Environmental Effects and Statistical Noise in Data Envelopment Analysis," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 17(1), pages 157-174, January.
- Altunbas, Yener & Liu, Ming-Hau & Molyneux, Philip & Seth, Rama, 2000. "Efficiency and risk in Japanese banking," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(10), pages 1605-1628, October.
- Emili Tortosa-Ausina, 2002. "Bank Cost Efficiency and Output Specification," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, vol. 18(3), pages 199-222, November.
- Delis, Manthos D & Papanikolaou, Nikolaos I, 2009.
"Determinants of bank efficiency: Evidence from a semi-parametric methodology,"
13893, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Manthos D. Delis & Nikolaos I. Papanikolaou, 2009. "Determinants of bank efficiency: evidence from a semi-parametric methodology," Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 35(3), pages 260-275.
- Y. C. Jao, 2003. "Financial reform in Hong Kong," Chapters, in: The International Handbook on Financial Reform, chapter 6 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Morris Goldstein, 1998.
"Asian Financial Crisis: Causes, Cures and Systemic Implications, The,"
Peterson Institute Press: All Books,
Peterson Institute for International Economics, number pa55, January.
- Morris Goldstein, 1998. "Asian Financial Crisis: Causes, Cures and Systemic Implications, The," Peterson Institute Press: Policy Analyses in International Economics, Peterson Institute for International Economics, number pa55.
- Drake, Leigh & Hall, Maximilian J.B. & Simper, Richard, 2006.
"The impact of macroeconomic and regulatory factors on bank efficiency: A non-parametric analysis of Hong Kong's banking system,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 30(5), pages 1443-1466, May.
- Leigh M. Drake & Maximilian J. B. Hall & Richard Simper, 2005. "The Impact of Macroeconomic and Regulatory Factors on Bank Efficiency: A Non-Parametric Analysis of Hong Kong's Banking System," Working Papers 012005, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- Drake, Leigh & Hall, Maximilian J.B. & Simper, Richard, 2009. "Bank modelling methodologies: A comparative non-parametric analysis of efficiency in the Japanese banking sector," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 1-15, February.
- Thoraneenitiyan, Nakhun & Avkiran, Necmi K., 2009. "Measuring the impact of restructuring and country-specific factors on the efficiency of post-crisis East Asian banking systems: Integrating DEA with SFA," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 43(4), pages 240-252, December.
- Fare, Rolf & Zelenyuk, Valentin, 2003. "On aggregate Farrell efficiencies," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 146(3), pages 615-620, May.
- Tone, Kaoru, 2001. "A slacks-based measure of efficiency in data envelopment analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 130(3), pages 498-509, May.
- Léopold Simar & Valentin Zelenyuk, 2007. "Statistical inference for aggregates of Farrell-type efficiencies," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(7), pages 1367-1394.
- Fethi, Meryem Duygun & Pasiouras, Fotios, 2010. "Assessing bank efficiency and performance with operational research and artificial intelligence techniques: A survey," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 204(2), pages 189-198, July.
- McDonald, John, 2009. "Using least squares and tobit in second stage DEA efficiency analyses," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 197(2), pages 792-798, September.
- Akhigbe, Aigbe & McNulty, James E., 2003. "The profit efficiency of small US commercial banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 307-325, February.
- Fotios Pasiouras, 2008. "International evidence on the impact of regulations and supervision on banks’ technical efficiency: an application of two-stage data envelopment analysis," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 30(2), pages 187-223, February.
- Simon H. Kwan, 2002.
"The X-Efficiency of Commercial Banks in Hong Kong,"
122002, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Benston, George J & Smith, Clifford W, Jr, 1976. "A Transactions Cost Approach to the Theory of Financial Intermediation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 31(2), pages 215-31, May.
- Avkiran, Necmi K., 2009. "Removing the impact of environment with units-invariant efficient frontier analysis: An illustrative case study with intertemporal panel data," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 535-544, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lbo:lbowps:2008-01. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Huw Edwards)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.