Pollution Trading in Water Quality Limited Areas: Use of Benefits Assessment and Cost-Effective Trading Ratios
This paper proposes a water quality trading design that addresses common implementation problems. Trading ratios, which are calculated from damages integrated over each source’s spatial zone of influence, drive the system to a socially costeffective outcome. The design is applied to combined sewer overflow management in the Upper OhioRiver Basin, where trading ratios can vary significantly among trading partners. The analysis shows that significant compliance cost savings are possible without incurring a penalty in terms of social damages or overall water quality despite a higher level of discharge relative to the command and control option.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tietenberg, T. H., 1974. "Derived decision rules for pollution control in a general equilibrium space economy," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 3-16, May.
- Farrow, Scott, 1999. "The duality of taxes and tradable permits: A survey with applications in Central and Eastern Europe," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 4(04), pages 519-535, October.
- Atkinson, Scott E. & Tietenberg, T. H., 1982. "The empirical properties of two classes of designs for transferable discharge permit markets," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 101-121, June.
- Magat, Wesley A, et al, 2000. "An Iterative Choice Approach to Valuing Clean Lakes, Rivers, and Streams," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 7-43, July.
- Krupnick, Alan J. & Oates, Wallace E. & Van De Verg, Eric, 1983. "On marketable air-pollution permits: The case for a system of pollution offsets," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 233-247, September.
- Desvousges, William H. & Smith, V. Kerry & Fisher, Ann, 1987. "Option price estimates for water quality improvements: A contingent valuation study for the monongahela river," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 248-267, September.
- Hahn, Robert W., 1989. "A new approach to the design of regulation in the presence of multiple objectives," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 17(2), pages 195-211, September.
- Fernando Rodríguez, 2000. "On the Use of Exchange Rates as Trading Rules in a Bilateral System of Transferable Discharge Permits," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 15(4), pages 379-395, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:uwp:landec:v:81:y:2005:i:2:p191-205. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.