Governance Structure, Ownership Structure and Earnings Predictability: Malaysian Evidence
This study is distinct from prior research focusing mainly on the relationship of corporate governance mechanisms to earnings management or earnings informativeness because it examines the associations between governance structure, ownership structure, and earnings predictability. Using a sample of 330 firms for the period of 2008 through 2009, the findings reveal that the predictive ability of earnings is high when firms have small boards, an independent chair person, and high shareholding by institutions. However, in contradiction to our expectation is the significant but negative effect of board independence on earnings predictability. The results also demonstrate that investors do not perceive independent audit committees, more active audit committees, competent audit committees, and a high shareholding of management as good indicators of earnings numbers with a high predictive value.
Volume (Year): 9 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://web.usm.my/aamj/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sabri Boubaker, 2011.
"Multiple large shareholders and earnings informativeness,"
Review of Accounting and Finance,
Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 10(3), pages 246-266, August.
- Sabri Boubaker & Hind Sami, 2011. "Multiple Large Shareholders and Earnings Informativeness," Post-Print halshs-00623867, HAL.
- Sabri Boubaker & Hind Sami, 2011. "Multiple Large Shareholders and Earnings Informativeness," Post-Print hal-01155623, HAL.
- Vafeas, Nikos, 2000. "Board structure and the informativeness of earnings," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 139-160, June.
- Velury, Uma & Jenkins, David S., 2006. "Institutional ownership and the quality of earnings," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(9), pages 1043-1051, September.
- Adriana Korczak & Piotr Korczak, 2009. "Corporate ownership and the information content of earnings in Poland," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(9), pages 703-717.
- Ferdinand T. Siagian, 2011. "The impact of independent directors and independent audit committees on earnings quality reported by Indonesian firms," Asian Review of Accounting, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 19(3), pages 192-207, September.
- Effiezal Aswadi Abdul Wahab & firstname.lastname@example.org & Janice How, 2008. "Corporate Governance and Institutional Investors: Evidence from Malaysia," Asian Academy of Management Journal of Accounting and Finance (AAMJAF), Penerbit Universiti Sains Malaysia, vol. 4(2), pages 67-90.
- Ellen Engel, 2005. "Discussion of Does the Market Value Financial Expertise on Audit Committees of Boards of Directors?," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(2), pages 195-204, 05.
- Khaled Hussainey, 2009. "The impact of audit quality on earnings predictability," Managerial Auditing Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 24(4), pages 340-351, April.
- Jung, Kooyul & Kwon, Soo Young, 2002. "Ownership structure and earnings informativeness: Evidence from Korea," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 301-325.
- Norman Mohd Saleh & Mara Ridhuan Che Abdul Rahman & Mohamat Sabri Hassan, 2009. "Ownership Structure and Intellectual Capital Performance in Malaysia," Asian Academy of Management Journal of Accounting and Finance (AAMJAF), Penerbit Universiti Sains Malaysia, vol. 5(1), pages 1-29.
- Fama, Eugene F & Jensen, Michael C, 1983. "Separation of Ownership and Control," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(2), pages 301-325, June.
- Steven Petra, 2007. "The Effects of Corporate Governance on the Informativeness of Earnings," Economics of Governance, Springer, vol. 8(2), pages 129-152, February.
- Jui-Chin Chang, 2010. "Does the disclosure of corporate governance structures affect firms' earnings quality?," Review of Accounting and Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 9(3), pages 212-243, August.
- Park, Yun W. & Shin, Hyun-Han, 2004. "Board composition and earnings management in Canada," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 431-457, June.
- Aloke Ghosh & Doocheol Moon, 2010. "The effect of CEO ownership on the information content of reported earnings," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 35(4), pages 393-410, November.
- Kevin Hendry & Geoffrey C. Kiel, 2004. "The Role of the Board in Firm Strategy: integrating agency and organisational control perspectives," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(4), pages 500-520, October.
- Dimitropoulos, Panagiotis E. & Asteriou, Dimitrios, 2010. "The effect of board composition on the informativeness and quality of annual earnings: Empirical evidence from Greece," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 190-205, June.
- Flora F. Niu, 2006. "Corporate governance and the quality of accounting earnings: a Canadian perspective," International Journal of Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 2(4), pages 302-327, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:usm:journl:aamjaf00901_1-23. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journal Division, Penerbit Universiti Sains Malaysia)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.