The Relationship between Foreign Direct Investment and Tourism Development: Evidence from Developing Countries
This paper investigates the existence of Granger causality and co-integrated relationships between tourism related Foreign Direct Investment (FDI)and tourism development in developing countries using panel VECM techniques from 1995 to 2008. The results confirm the existence of a co-integrated relationship between variables in the long run. In addition, there is a bilateral long-run causality between tourism related FDI and tourism development, while there is no short-run causality between variables.
Volume (Year): 5 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Lembah Pantai, 50603 Kuala Lumpur|
Web page: http://ijie.um.edu.my
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Krueger, Anne O, 1980.
"Trade Policy as an Input to Development,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 70(2), pages 288-292, May.
- Peter Pedroni, 1999.
"Critical Values for Cointegration Tests in Heterogeneous Panels with Multiple Regressors,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
2000-02, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- Pedroni, Peter, 1999. " Critical Values for Cointegration Tests in Heterogeneous Panels with Multiple Regressors," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(0), pages 653-670, Special I.
- Im, Kyung So & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 2003.
"Testing for unit roots in heterogeneous panels,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 53-74, July.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995. "Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "IPSHIN: RATS procedure to implement Im, Pesaran and Shin panel unit root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00098, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Saroja Selvanathan & Selvanathan & Brinda Viswanathan, 2009.
"Causality between Foreign Direct Investment and Tourism: Empirical Evidence from India,"
2009-046, Madras School of Economics,Chennai,India.
- Saroja Selvanathan & E.A. Selvanathan & Brinda Viswanathan, 2009. "Causality between Foreign Direct Investment and Tourism : Empirical Evidence from India," Finance Working Papers 22944, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Rainer Andergassen & Guido Candela, 2013.
"Less Developed Countries, Tourism Investments and Local Economic Development,"
Review of Development Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(1), pages 16-33, 02.
- R. Andergassen & G. Candela, 2009. "Less Developed Countries, Tourism Investments and Local Economic Development," Working Papers 676, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Asafu-Adjaye, John, 2000.
"The relationship between energy consumption, energy prices and economic growth: time series evidence from Asian developing countries,"
Elsevier, vol. 22(6), pages 615-625, December.
- Asafu-Adjaye, John, 1999. "The relationship between energy consumption, energy prices and economic growth: Time series evidence from Asian developing countries," 1999 Conference (43th), January 20-22, 1999, Christchurch, New Zealand 123754, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- World Bank, 2010. "World Development Indicators 2010," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 4373.
- M. Thea Sinclair, 1998. "Tourism and economic development: A survey," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(5), pages 1-51.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:umk:journl:v:5:y:2013:i:2:p:59-68. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Professor Dr. Rajah Rasiah)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.