The Relationship between Foreign Direct Investment and Tourism Development: Evidence from Developing Countries
This paper investigates the existence of Granger causality and co-integrated relationships between tourism related Foreign Direct Investment (FDI)and tourism development in developing countries using panel VECM techniques from 1995 to 2008. The results confirm the existence of a co-integrated relationship between variables in the long run. In addition, there is a bilateral long-run causality between tourism related FDI and tourism development, while there is no short-run causality between variables.
Volume (Year): 5 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Lembah Pantai, 50603 Kuala Lumpur|
Web page: http://ijie.um.edu.my
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Asafu-Adjaye, John, 2000.
"The relationship between energy consumption, energy prices and economic growth: time series evidence from Asian developing countries,"
Elsevier, vol. 22(6), pages 615-625, December.
- Asafu-Adjaye, John, 1999. "The relationship between energy consumption, energy prices and economic growth: Time series evidence from Asian developing countries," 1999 Conference (43th), January 20-22, 1999, Christchurch, New Zealand 123754, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Saroja Selvanathan & E.A. Selvanathan & Brinda Viswanathan, 2009. "Causality between Foreign Direct Investment and Tourism : Empirical Evidence from India," Finance Working Papers 22944, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Saroja Selvanathan & Selvanathan & Brinda Viswanathan, 2009. "Causality between Foreign Direct Investment and Tourism: Empirical Evidence from India," Working Papers 2009-046, Madras School of Economics,Chennai,India.
- Rainer Andergassen & Guido Candela, 2013. "Less Developed Countries, Tourism Investments and Local Economic Development," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(1), pages 16-33, 02.
- R. Andergassen & G. Candela, 2009. "Less Developed Countries, Tourism Investments and Local Economic Development," Working Papers 676, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Im, Kyung So & Pesaran, M. Hashem & Shin, Yongcheol, 2003. "Testing for unit roots in heterogeneous panels," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 53-74, July.
- Pasaran, M.H. & Im, K.S. & Shin, Y., 1995. "Testing for Unit Roots in Heterogeneous Panels," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9526, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Tom Doan, "undated". "IPSHIN: RATS procedure to implement Im, Pesaran and Shin panel unit root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00098, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Krueger, Anne O, 1980. "Trade Policy as an Input to Development," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(2), pages 288-292, May.
- Anne O. Krueger, 1980. "Trade Policy as an Input to Development," NBER Working Papers 0466, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Pedroni, Peter, 1999. " Critical Values for Cointegration Tests in Heterogeneous Panels with Multiple Regressors," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(0), pages 653-670, Special I.
- Peter Pedroni, 1999. "Critical Values for Cointegration Tests in Heterogeneous Panels with Multiple Regressors," Department of Economics Working Papers 2000-02, Department of Economics, Williams College.
- M. Thea Sinclair, 1998. "Tourism and economic development: A survey," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(5), pages 1-51.
- World Bank, 2010. "World Development Indicators 2010," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 4373, July. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:umk:journl:v:5:y:2013:i:2:p:59-68. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Professor Dr. Rajah Rasiah)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.