Technical efficiency of the agricultural sector in Mexico: An overview of data envelopment analysis
The aim of this paper is to understand the agricultural sector in Mexico by looking at the way productive factors are being used and its technical efficiency. By means of data envelopment analysis, the empirical evidence shows that the northern states of the country are leaders in the sector, the north-central states determine the efficient production frontier and only eight of them operate efficiently under variable returns to scale, while 24 operate in the segment decreasing returns to scale. The overall efficiency of the states is 0.49, so there is the possibility of increasing output by 51% by making a better use of capital and labor.
Volume (Year): 36 (2011)
Issue (Month): 31 (January-june)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Sociales. Instituto de Investigaciones Económicas y Sociales. Campus Universitario Liria, Edificio G, Tercer Nivel. Mérida 5101, Estado Mérida, Venezuela|
Phone: +58 74 401111 ext. 1081
Fax: +58 74 401120
Web page: http://iies.faces.ula.ve/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Seiford, Lawrence M. & Thrall, Robert M., 1990. "Recent developments in DEA : The mathematical programming approach to frontier analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 7-38.
- Ablanedo-Rosas, JosÃ© Humberto & Gemoets, Leopoldo A., 2010. "Measuring the efficiency of Mexican airports," Journal of Air Transport Management, Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 343-345.
- Joaquín Maudos Villarroya & José Manuel Pastor Monsálvez & Lorenzo Serrano Martínez, 1998.
"- Human Capital In Oecd Countries: Technical Change, Efficency And Productivity,"
Working Papers. Serie EC
1998-19, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Joaquin Maudos & Jose Manuel Pastor & Lorenzo Serrano, 2003. "Human capital in OECD countries: Technical change, efficiency and productivity," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(4), pages 419-435.
- Jens Kaüger & Uwe Cantner & Horst Hanusch, 2000. "Total factor productivity, the east Asian miracle, and the world production frontier," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 136(1), pages 111-136, March.
- Maudos, Joaquin & Pastor, Jose Manuel & Serrano, Lorenzo, 1999. "Total factor productivity measurement and human capital in OECD countries," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 39-44, April.
- Fare, Rolf & Knox Lovell, C. A., 1978. "Measuring the technical efficiency of production," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 150-162, October.
- Boisso, Dale & Grosskopf, Shawna & Hayes, Kathy, 2000. "Productivity and efficiency in the US: effects of business cycles and public capital," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 663-681, December.
- Griffin, Wade L. & Woodward, Richard T., 2011. "Determining policy-efficient management strategies in fisheries using data envelopment analysis (DEA)," Marine Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 496-507, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ula:econom:v:36:y:2011:i:31:p:85-110. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alexis Vásquez)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.