Treble Damage Awards in Private Lawsuits for Price Fixing
The traditional model for assessing the effects of treble damage pena lties on price fixing is reexamined and shown to yield surprising res ults. Unless the probability of detection is extremely sensitive to the price charged, increasing the damage multiple will affect neither market efficiency nor expected distribution, and will raise the mark et price. Copyright 1987 by University of Chicago Press.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
- Gianmaria Martini & Cinzia Rovesti, 2004.
"Antitrust policy and price collusion. Public agencies vs delegation,"
Recherches économiques de Louvain,
De Boeck Université, vol. 70(2), pages 127-151.
- Gianmaria MARTINI & Cinzia ROVESTI, 2004. "Antitrust policy and price collusion : public agencies vs delegation," Discussion Papers (REL - Recherches Economiques de Louvain) 2004021, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Schinkel Maarten Pieter & Rüggeberg Jakob & Tuinstra Jan, 2003. "Illinois Walls," Research Memorandum 027, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- Schinkel, M.P. & Tuinstra, J. & Rueggeberg, J., 2004. "Illinois Walls," CeNDEF Working Papers 04-03, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Maarten Pieter Schinkel & Jan Tuinstra & Jakob Rüggeberg, 2005. "Illinois Walls," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 05-049/1, Tinbergen Institute.
- Michael Katz, 2002. "Recent Antitrust Enforcement Actions by the U.S. Department of Justice: A Selective Survey of Economic Issues," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 21(4), pages 373-397, December.
- McAfee, R. Preston & Mialon, Hugo M. & Mialon, Sue H., 2008. "Private v. public antitrust enforcement: A strategic analysis," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 92(10-11), pages 1863-1875, October.
- Joseph E. Harrington, 2005. "Optimal Cartel Pricing In The Presence Of An Antitrust Authority," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 46(1), pages 145-169, 02.
- Joseph E Harrington, 2001. "Optimal Cartel Pricing in the Presence of an Antitrust Authority," Economics Working Paper Archive 460, The Johns Hopkins University,Department of Economics, revised Jul 2002.
- Gianmaria Martini, 2005. "Hard Core Cartels and Avoidance of Investigation in the Presence of an Antitrust Authority," Working Papers 0505, Department of Economics and Technology Management, University of Bergamo.
- Gianmaria Martini, 2005. "Hard Core Cartels and Avoidance of Investigation in the Presence of an Antitrust Authority," Industrial Organization 0502014, EconWPA.
- Bourjade, Sylvain & Rey, Patrick & Seabright, Paul, 2009. "Private Antitrust Enforcement in the Presence of Pre-Trial Bargaining," IDEI Working Papers 499, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Bourjade, Sylvain & Rey, Patrick & seabright, paul, 2009. "Private antitrust enforcement in the presence of pre-trial bargaining," MPRA Paper 34840, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bourjade, Sylvain & Rey, Patrick & Seabright, Paul, 2009. "Private Antitrust Enforcement in the Presence of Pre-Trial Bargaining," TSE Working Papers 09-041, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Schwartz, Warren F. & Wickelgren, Abraham L., 2011. "Optimal antitrust enforcement: Competitor suits, entry, and post-entry competition," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(7), pages 967-972.
- Schinkel, Maarten Pieter & Tuinstra, Jan, 2006. "Imperfect competition law enforcement," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 1267-1297, November.
- Schinkel, M.P. & Tuinstra, J., 2004. "Imperfect Competition Law Enforcement," CeNDEF Working Papers 04-07, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Gianmaria Martini, 2002. "Antitrust Policy and Collusion through Credible Covenants," Working Papers (-2012) 0204, University of Bergamo, Department of Economics.
- Peter M. DeMarzo & Michael J. Fishman & Kathleen M. Hagerty, 1998. "The Optimal Enforcement of Insider Trading Regulations," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 106(3), pages 602-632, June.
- Hunold, Matthias, 2013. "The effects of cartel damage compensations," ZEW Discussion Papers 13-081, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Maarten Pieter Schinkel & Jan Tuinstra & Jakob Rüggeberg, 2008. "Illinois Walls: how barring indirect purchaser suits facilitates collusion," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 39(3), pages 683-698.
- RÃ¼ggeberg, J. & Schinkel, M.P. & Tuinstra, J., 2005. "Illinois Walls: How barring indirect purchaser suits facilitates collusion," CeNDEF Working Papers 05-10, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Justus Haucap, 2008. "Whinston, M. D.: Lectures on Antitrust Economics (Cairoli Lecture Series)," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 93(3), pages 305-311, 04.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucp:jpolec:v:95:y:1987:i:6:p:1326-36. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.
Follow series, journals, authors & more
New papers by email
Subscribe to new additions to RePEc
Public profiles for Economics researchers
Various rankings of research in Economics & related fields
Who was a student of whom, using RePEc
Curated articles & papers on various economics topics
Upload your paper to be listed on RePEc and IDEAS
Blog aggregator for economics research
Cases of plagiarism in Economics
Job Market Papers
RePEc working paper series dedicated to the job market
Pretend you are at the helm of an economics department
Services from the StL Fed
Data, research, apps & more from the St. Louis Fed