The Alaskan Labor Market during the Pipeline Era
Built between 1974 and 1977, the Trans-Alaska Pipeline was the largest privately financed construction project in world history. The Alaskan labor-market during the pipeline era provides an ideal opportunity to view labor market responses to a large, anticipated, and temporary shock to labor demand. The paper presents several theoretical models of market responses to temporary demand shocks and then assesses the ability of each model to explain the Alaskan data. Among the findings are that Alaskan wages were very flexible and labor supply was quite elastic on both the intensive (hours per worker) and extensive (number of workers) margins. Copyright 1996 by University of Chicago Press.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kenneth L. Judd, 1983.
"Short-Run Analysis of Fiscal Policy in a Simple Perfect Foresight Model,"
559, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Judd, Kenneth L, 1985. "Short-run Analysis of Fiscal Policy in a Simple Perfect Foresight Model," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 93(2), pages 298-319, April.
- Lawrence F. Katz & Alan B. Krueger, 1991.
"Changes in the Structure of Wages in the Public and Private Sectors,"
NBER Working Papers
3667, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Katz, L.F. & Krueger, A.B., 1991. "Chances In The Structure Of Wages In The Public And Private Sectors," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1547, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Lawrence F. Katz & Alan B. Krueger, 1991. "Changes in the Structure of Wages in the Public and Private Sectors," Working Papers 662, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- repec:pri:indrel:dsp01jh343s29g is not listed on IDEAS
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Lawrence F. Katz, 1992. "Regional Evolutions," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 23(1), pages 1-76.
- repec:fth:prinin:282 is not listed on IDEAS
- George R. Neumann & Robert H. Topel, 1991. "Employment Risk, Diversification, and Unemployment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 106(4), pages 1341-1365.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucp:jpolec:v:104:y:1996:i:1:p:186-218. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.