Domestic Code Sharing, Alliances, and Airfares in the U.S. Airline Industry
This paper examines the impact of domestic code-sharing alliances on airfares. Our analysis yields two novel and somewhat surprising findings that have yet to be documented in the literature. First, unlike with international code sharing, we find that the overwhelming majority of domestic code-share itineraries involve a single operating carrier, a phenomenon that we refer to as virtual code sharing. Second, we find that these virtual code-sharing itineraries are priced lower than itineraries operated and marketed by a single carrier in the same market. We suggest that carriers may be using virtual code sharingâ€”in large partâ€”as a generic product to compete for the most price-sensitive passengers.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brueckner, Jan K & Whalen, W Tom, 2000. "The Price Effects of International Airline Alliances," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 43(2), pages 503-545, October.
- Brueckner, Jan K., 2001. "The economics of international codesharing: an analysis of airline alliances," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(10), pages 1475-1498, December.
- Bamberger, Gustavo E & Carlton, Dennis W & Neumann, Lynette R, 2004.
"An Empirical Investigation of the Competitive Effects of Domestic Airline Alliances,"
Journal of Law and Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 47(1), pages 195-222, April.
- Gustavo E. Bamberger & Dennis W. Carlton & Lynette R. Neumann, 2001. "An Empirical Investigation of the Competitive Effects of Domestic Airline Alliances," NBER Working Papers 8197, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jong-Hun Park & Anming Zhang, 2000. "An Empirical Analysis of Global Airline Alliances: Cases in North Atlantic Markets," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 16(4), pages 367-384, June.
- Steven A. Morrison, 2001. "Actual, Adjacent, and Potential Competition Estimating the Full Effect of Southwest Airlines," Journal of Transport Economics and Policy, University of Bath, vol. 35(2), pages 239-256, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucp:jlawec:v:50:y:2007:p:355-380. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.