Designing More Efficient Markets: Lessons from Los Angeles Smog Control
Market-based approaches for environmental protection are beginning to take root around the world. This article attempts to improve our understanding of the performance of environmental markets by constructing and evaluating an information base on trades in Los Angeles, which includes the first detailed data on trading prices. The analysis suggests that trading activity has been shaped by the detailed regulations governing the market. In addition, transaction costs have played a crucial role. We argue that the move toward adopting market-based approaches for environmental protection needs to be accompanied by a vigorous effort to assess the properties of these systems as they are actually implemented. Copyright 1995 by the University of Chicago.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hahn, Robert W & Noll, Roger G, 1990. "Enviromental Markets in the Year 2000," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 3(4), pages 351-367, December.
- Hahn, Robert W., 1990. "Regulatory constraints on environmental markets," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 149-175, July.
- Wallace E. Oates & Albert M. McGartland, 1985. "Marketable Pollution Permits and Acid Rain Externalities: A Comment and Some Further Evidence," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 18(3), pages 668-675, August.
- Montgomery, W. David, 1972. "Markets in licenses and efficient pollution control programs," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 5(3), pages 395-418, December.
- Franciosi Robert & Isaac R. Mark & Pingry David E. & Reynolds Stanley S., 1993. "An Experimental Investigation of the Hahn-Noll Revenue Neutral Auction for Emissions Licenses," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 1-24, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucp:jlawec:v:38:y:1995:i:1:p:19-48. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.