A Two-Constraint Almost Ideal Demand Model of Recreation and Donations
An incomplete demand system is developed for recreation and donation choices, subject to both money and time constraints. The model results in a three-good system, with an endogenous marginal value of time for estimation. The model is implemented by adapting Deaton and Muellbauer's locally flexible almost ideal demand system to a two-constraint recreation model of trips and donations of California whale watchers. Exact welfare measures are calculated for changes in costs, as well as for whale population changes. Results indicate a use and a nonuse component of overall willingness to pay for increases in environmental quality. © 2003 President and Fellows of Harvard College and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Volume (Year): 85 (2003)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/|
|Order Information:||Web: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journal-home.tcl?issn=00346535|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Krinsky, Itzhak & Robb, A Leslie, 1986. "On Approximating the Statistical Properties of Elasticities," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 68(4), pages 715-19, November.
- Michael D. Creel, 1997. "Welfare Estimation Using The Fourier Form: Simulation Evidence For The Recreation Demand Case," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(1), pages 88-94, February.
- Douglas M. Larson & Sabina L. Shaikh, 2001. "Empirical Specification Requirements for Two-Constraint Models of Recreation Choice," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(2), pages 428-440.
- Joseph A. Herriges & Catherine L. Kling, 1999.
"Nonlinear Income Effects in Random Utility Models,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 81(1), pages 62-72, February.
- Jeffrey T. LaFrance & W. Michael Hanemann, 1989. "The Dual Structure of Incomplete Demand Systems," Monash Economics Working Papers archive-21, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Joseph C. Cooper, 2000.
"Nonparametric and Semi-Nonparametric Recreational Demand Analysis,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(2), pages 451-462.
- Cooper, Joseph C., 1999. "Nonparametric and Semi-Nonparametric Recreational Demand Analysis," MPRA Paper 24780, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jeffrey T. LaFrance & W. Michael Hanemann, 1989. "The Dual Structure of Incomplete Demand Systems," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 71(2), pages 262-274.
- Chen, Heng Z. & Randall, Alan, 1997. "Semi-nonparametric estimation of binary response models with an application to natural resource valuation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 76(1-2), pages 323-340.
- Creel, M. & Loomis, J., 1995.
"Semi-Nonparametric Distribution-Free Dichotomous Choice Contingent Valuation,"
UFAE and IAE Working Papers
273.94, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Creel, Michael & Loomis, John, 1997. "Semi-nonparametric Distribution-Free Dichotomous Choice Contingent Valuation," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 341-358, March.
- Hanemann, Michael & Morey, Edward, 1992. "Separability, partial demand systems, and consumer's surplus measures," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 241-258, May.
- Feather, Peter M & Shaw, W Douglas, 2000. "The Demand for Leisure Time in the Presence of Constrained Work Hours," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 38(4), pages 651-61, October.
- Shaw, Daigee, 1988. "On-site samples' regression : Problems of non-negative integers, truncation, and endogenous stratification," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 211-223, February.
- Deaton, Angus S & Muellbauer, John, 1980. "An Almost Ideal Demand System," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 70(3), pages 312-26, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:tpr:restat:v:85:y:2003:i:4:p:953-961. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna Pollock-Nelson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.