A Note on the Stability of Full Employment
This note investigates the stability properties of the Keynesian macro-model under the assumption of slow adjustment of nominal wages and expectations of inflation. First, the stability conditions of the 'flexible-interest-rate regime' are related to those derived by Cagan (1956) and Tobin (1975), emphasising the potentially destabilising effect of wage flexibility. Then, taking the restriction of a zero floor to the nominal interest rate into account it is shown that the model exhibits 'corridor stability'. From this follows the conjecture that increasing the rate of steady-state inflation makes it 'more probable' that the system returns to full-employment after a shock of given size.
Volume (Year): 14 (2002)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CRPE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CRPE20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christian Groth, 1993. "Some unfamiliar dynamics of a familiar macro model a note," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 58(3), pages 293-305, October.
- Paul R. Krugman, 1998. "It's Baaack: Japan's Slump and the Return of the Liquidity Trap," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 29(2), pages 137-206.
- Howitt, Peter W, 1978. " The Limits to Stability of a Full-employment Equilibrium," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 80(3), pages 265-82.
- James Tobin, 1975.
"Keynesian Models of Recession and Depression,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
387, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Peter Flaschel & Reiner Franke, 2000. "An Old-Keynesian Note on Destabilizing Price Flexibility," Review of Political Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(3), pages 273-283.
- James Tobin, 1993.
"Price Flexibility and Output Stability: An Old Keynesian View,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 7(1), pages 45-65, Winter.
- James Tobin, 1991. "Price Flexibility and Output Stability: An Old Keynesian View," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 994R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Sep 1991.
- J. Bradford De Long & Lawrence H. Summers, 1985.
"Is Increased Price Flexibility Stabilizing?,"
NBER Working Papers
1686, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:revpoe:v:14:y:2002:i:2:p:211-225. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.