Estimating UK regional price indices, 1974-96
Hayes P. (2005) Estimating UK regional price indices, 1974-96, Regional Studies 39 , 333-344. This paper examines the behaviour and construction of regional expenditure indices published in the Croner-Reward Regional Cost of Living Surveys for 1974-96. It identifies a number of problems in using these data as an appropriate deflator to the New Earnings Survey regional wages series in examining labour supply-side decisions. Instead, an alternative method with which to construct regional prices is recommended using a combination of data from Croner-Reward, from the published Retail Price Index (RPI) and from the Expenditure and Food Survey (EFS) (formerly known as the Family Expenditure Survey). Whilst these new data suggest that regional inflation rates were not significantly different from one another over the sample period, they point to an episode of increased regional price variation over the late 1980s and early 1990s. This paper suggests that these alternative indices would be of interest when examining adjustment processes to economic shocks across the regions of the UK.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 39 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CRES20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CRES20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alastair Cunningham, 1996. "Measurement Bias in Price Indices: An Application to the UK's RPI," Bank of England working papers 47, Bank of England.
- Salvador BARROS & Marius BRÜLHART & Robert J.R. ELLIOTT & Marianne SENSIER, 2001.
"A Tale of Two Cycles: Co-Fluctuations Between UK Regions and the Euro Zone,"
Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du Département d'Econométrie et d'Economie politique (DEEP)
01.10, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Salvador Barrios & Marius Br¸lhart & Robert J.R. Elliott & Marianne Sensier, 2003. "A Tale of Two Cycles: Co-Fluctuations Between UK Regions and the Euro Zone," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 71(3), pages 265-292, 06.
- S Barrios & M Brülhart & R Elliott & M Sensier, 2001. "A Tale of Two Cycles: Co-fluctuations Between UK Regions and the Euro Zone," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 0101, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- S Barrios & M Brülhart & R J R Elliott & M Sensier, 2002. "A Tale of Two Cycles: Co-fluctuations Between UK Regions and the Euro Zone," Centre for Growth and Business Cycle Research Discussion Paper Series 03, Economics, The Univeristy of Manchester.
- Fielding, David & Shields, Kalvinder, 2003.
"A nation divided? Price and output dynamics in English regions,"
Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 651-677, May.
- David Fielding & Kalvinder Shields, 2001. "A Nation Divided? Price and Output Dynamics in English Regions," Discussion Papers in Economics 01/6, Department of Economics, University of Leicester.
- David G. Blanchflower & Andrew J. Oswald, 1995.
"The Wage Curve,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 026202375x, June.
- Hyclak, Thomas & Johnes, Geraint, 1992.
"Regional Wage Inflation and Unemployment Dynamics in Great Britain,"
Scottish Journal of Political Economy,
Scottish Economic Society, vol. 39(2), pages 188-200, May.
- T. Hyclak & G. Johnes, . "Regional Wage Inflation and Unemployment Dynamics in Great Britain," Working Papers ec20/90, Department of Economics, University of Lancaster.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:regstd:v:39:y:2005:i:3:p:333-344. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.