Seigniorage Wealth and Redistribution in Central and Eastern European Countries
The analysis presented in this article focuses on seigniorage revenues in five Central and Eastern European Countries: Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland and Romania. A comprehensive discrete period accounting framework for measuring the sources and uses of seigniorage in the 1990s is presented. The framework is based upon the gross concept of seigniorage that defines seigniorage in the broadest possible sense as the sum of revenues resulting from the monopoly power to issue money. Legal, institutional and operational details which are relevant for the creation of base money in a country are taken into account. The article reveals similarities and differences in seigniorage wealth between the countries under scrutiny, evaluates the magnitude of seigniorage and shows that accession to the European Monetary Union will create significant once-and-for-all gains of seigniorage wealth for the countries resulting from redistributing seigniorage wealth.
Volume (Year): 15 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CPCE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CPCE20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jacek Cukrowski & Emil Stavrev, 2001.
"Central Bank Seigniorage: Czech Republic 1993-1997,"
- Jacek Cukrowski & Emil Stavrev, 1999. "Central Bank Seigniorage: Czech Republic 1993-1997," CERGE-EI Working Papers wp142, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economics Institute, Prague.
- Klein,Martin & Neumann,Manfred, . "Seignorage: What is it and who gets it?," Discussion Paper Serie B 124, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Hans-Werner Sinn & Holger Feist, 2000. "Seignorage Wealth in the Eurosystem: Eurowinners and Eurolosers Revisited," CESifo Working Paper Series 353, CESifo Group Munich.
- Jacek Cukrowski, 2002. "From Transition to Monetary Integration: Revenues from Seignorage in Poland," CASE-CEU Working Papers 0041, CASE-Center for Social and Economic Research.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner & Feist, Holger, 1997. "Eurowinners and Eurolosers: The distribution of seigniorage wealth in EMU1," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 665-689, December.
- Sinn, Hans-Werner & Feist, Holger, 1997.
"Eurowinners and Eurolosers: The distribution of seigniorage wealth in EMU,"
Munich Reprints in Economics
19567, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Feist, Holger & Sinn, Hans-Werner, 1997. "Eurowinners and Eurolosers: The Distribution of Seigniorage Wealth in EMU," CEPR Discussion Papers 1747, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hans-Werner Sinn & Holger Feist, 1997. "Eurowinners and Eurolosers: The Distribution of Seigniorage Wealth in EMU," NBER Working Papers 6072, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Drazen, Allan, 1985. "A general measure of inflation tax revenues," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 327-330.
- Feist, Holger, 2001. "The Enlargement of the European Union and the Redistribution of Seigniorage Wealth," Discussion Papers in Economics 16, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Holger Feist, 2001. "The Enlargement of the European Union and the Redistribution of Seigniorage Wealth," CESifo Working Paper Series 408, CESifo Group Munich.
- Hochreiter, Eduard & Rovelli, Riccardo & Winckler, Georg, 1996. "Central banks and seigniorage: A study of three economies in transition," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(3-5), pages 629-643, April.
- Feist, Holger, 2001. "The Enlargement of the European Union and the Redistribution of Seigniorage Wealth," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(4), pages 533-46.
- Wojciech S. Maliszewski, 2000. "Central Bank Independence in Transition Economies," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 8(3), pages 749-789, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:pocoec:v:15:y:2003:i:1:p:27-46. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.