Restructuring China's Petrochemical Enterprises: A Case Study of the Fushun Petrochemical Company
This article presents a case study of Fushun Petrochemical Company (FPC), which is a large state-owned enterprise (SOE) in Liaoning province under the control of China National Petroleum Corporation. In the first part of the article we argue that China's approach to the reform of large-scale SOEs in upstream industries such as petroleum has a sound economic logic. In the second part we use the recent restructuring of FPC to illustrate China's approach to reforming the petrochemical sector. We draw on interviews with managers and local government officials to discuss both the difficulties that the enterprise faced prior to reform and the main measures that were implemented during restructuring to address these problems. While the restructuring process at FPC has just been completed, we argue that the outcome provides some support for China's decision to promote large SOEs in upstream industries.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 13 (2001)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CPCE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CPCE20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Smyth, Russell, 2000. "Should China be Promoting Large-Scale Enterprises and Enterprise Groups?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 721-737, April.
- Chen, Aimin, 1998. "Inertia in reforming China's state-Owned enterprises: The case of Chongqing," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 479-495, March.
- Yuanzheng Cao & Yingyi Qian & Barry R. Weingast, 1997.
"From Federalism, Chinese Style to Privatization, Chinese style,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
126, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Yuanzheng Cao & Yingyi Qian & Barry R. Weingast, 1999. "From federalism, Chinese style to privatization, Chinese style," The Economics of Transition, The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, vol. 7(1), pages 103-131, March.
- Cao Yuanzheng, & Qian, Yingyi & Weingast, Barry, 1998. "From Federalism, Chinese Style, to Privatization, Chinese Style," CEPR Discussion Papers 1838, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Yuanzheng Cao & Yingyi Qian & Barry R. Weingast, 1997. "From Federalism, Chinese Style, to Privatization, Chinese Style," Working Papers 97049, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Nolan, P., 1996. "From State Factory, to Modern Corporation? China's Shougang Iron and Steel Corporation Under Economic Reform," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9613, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Russell Smyth, 1997. "A (Re)interpretation of Recent Developments in the Reform of State-owned Enterprises," China Report, Institute of Chinese Studies, vol. 33(4), pages 507-525, November.
- Nolan, Peter, 1996. "Large Firms and Industrial Reform in Former Planned Economies: The Case of China," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 20(1), pages 1-29, January.
- Ghemawat, Pankaj & Khanna, Tarun, 1998. "The Nature of Diversified Business Groups: A Research Design and Two Case Studies," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(1), pages 35-61, March.
- Nolan, Peter & Xiaoqiang, Wang, 1999. "Beyond privatization: Institutional innovation and growth in China's large state-owned enterprises," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 169-200, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:pocoec:v:13:y:2001:i:2:p:243-261. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.