Non-traded goods and optimal trade policy in a cash-in-advance economy
This paper develops a standard trade model of a small open monetary economy with two traded and one non-traded goods. Money is introduced through a generalized cash-in-advance constraint where the share of goods purchases that must be made using cash, varies across sectors. We find that free trade may be harmful so that alternative policy instruments may be considered to improve welfare. In addition, we study and compare the optimal tariff formula and the optimal consumption tax structure. In the presence of a monetary distortion of the non-traded good, a consumption tax may not Pareto dominate a tariff although the latter bears an additional production burden. This corroborates the theory of second best.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 10 (2001)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RJTE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RJTE20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hazari, Bharat R. & Sgro, Pasquale M., 1991. "Urban-rural structural adjustment, urban unemployment with traded and non-traded goods," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 187-196, January.
- I. A. McDougall, 1965. "Non-Traded Goods and the Transfer Problem," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 32(1), pages 67-81.
- Kwan Choi, E. & Beladi, Hamid, 1998.
"Welfare reducing trade and optimal trade policy,"
Japan and the World Economy,
Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 187-198, April.
- E. Kwan Choi & Hamid Beladi, 1998. "Welfare Reducing Trade and Optimal Trade Policy," Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) Publications 98-wp196, Center for Agricultural and Rural Development (CARD) at Iowa State University.
- Choi, E. Kwan & Beladi, Hamid, 1998. "Welfare Reducing Trade and Optimal Trade Policy," Staff General Research Papers Archive 1287, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- E. Kwan Choi & Hamid Beladi, 1998. "Welfare Reducing Trade and Optimal Trade Policy," Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) Publications 98-wp196, Food and Agricultural Policy Research Institute (FAPRI) at Iowa State University.
- Theodore Palivos & Chong K. Yip, 1997.
"The Gains from Trade for a Monetary Economy Once Again,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 30(1), pages 208-23, February.
- Theodore, Palivos & Chong K. Yip, 1996. "The Gains from Trade for a Monetary Economy Once Again," Departmental Working Papers _071, Chinese University of Hong Kong, Department of Economics.
- Hamid Beladi & Sugata Marjit, 1996. "An Analysis of Rural-Urban Migration and Protection," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 29(4), pages 930-40, November.
- Batra, Raveendra N & Beladi, Hamid, 1990. "Pattern of Trade between Underemployed Economies," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 57(228), pages 485-93, November.
- J. Peter Neary, 1988. "Welfare effects of tariffs and investment taxes," Working Papers 198801, School of Economics, University College Dublin.
- Jones, Ronald W, 1974. "Trade with Non-traded Goods: The Anatomy of Inter-connected Markets," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 41(162), pages 121-38, May.
- Wong, Kar-yiu, 1991. "Welfare comparison of trade situations," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 49-68, February.
- Corden, W Max & Neary, J Peter, 1982. "Booming Sector and De-Industrialisation in a Small Open Economy," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(368), pages 825-48, December.
- Jeffrey B. Nugent & Makoto Yano, 1999.
"Aid, Nontraded Goods, and the Transfer Paradox in Small Countries,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 431-449, June.
- Yano, M. & Nugent, J.B. & Lay, R.N., 1995. "Aid, Non-Traded Goods and the Transfer Paradox in Small Countries," Papers 9515, Southern California - Department of Economics.
- Cramer, J. S. & Reekers, G. M., 1976. "Money demand by sector : A survey for the Netherlands in 1971," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 99-112, January.
- Yu, Eden S H, 1982. "Unemployment and the Theory of Customs Unions," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 92(366), pages 399-404, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:jitecd:v:10:y:2001:i:1:p:23-37. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.