Declining Concentration in UK Manufacturing? A problem of measurement
It has become conventional wisdom that market concentration in the UK has fallen over recent history. However, the typical assumption has been that all imports are competitive so that any increase in import penetration implies a decline in market concentration. In a world of transnationally organized production and trade this would seem an inappropriate working assumption. Our analysis of the UK market for cars, vans, trucks and buses, where the necessary detailed firm data is available, supports this contention: an accurate assessment of who controls imports is crucial in the measurement of market concentration.
Volume (Year): 14 (2000)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CIRA20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CIRA20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Utton, M A, 1982. "Domestic Concentration and International Trade," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 34(3), pages 479-97, November.
- Hipple, F Steb, 1990. "The Measurement of International Trade Related to Multinational Companies," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(5), pages 1263-70, December.
- Robert Feenstra, 2003.
"Integration Of Trade And Disintegration Of Production In The Global Economy,"
986, University of California, Davis, Department of Economics.
- Robert C. Feenstra, 1998. "Integration of Trade and Disintegration of Production in the Global Economy," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 12(4), pages 31-50, Fall.
- Robert C. Feenstra, . "Integration Of Trade And Disintegration Of Production In The Global Economy," Department of Economics 98-06, California Davis - Department of Economics.
- Kumar, Manmohan S, 1985. "International Trade and Industrial Concentration," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 37(1), pages 125-33, March.
- Cowling, Keith, 1978. "Monopolies and Mergers Policy : A View on the Green Paper," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 139, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:irapec:v:14:y:2000:i:1:p:45-54. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.