Regional Intergration, Foreign Investment, And Optimal Trade And Investment Policies
Using an international duopoly model, this paper first investigates the impacts of the formation of a North-South regional intergration (RI) on both the developed member country and the developing nonmember country. The RI is shown indeed to have trade diversion effect and to depress the welfare of the nonmember country. It then derives explicitly the conditions under which the nonmember exporting firm will make FDI into the economic region after its formation. The optimal trade and investment policies of the nonmember country after the RI are shown to be export subsidies no matter there is FDI or not. Moreover, in the case with FDI, the nonmember country should subsidize the export and the FDI of its firms equally. [F21]
Volume (Year): 13 (1999)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RIEJ20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RIEJ20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hong Hwang & Chao-Cheng Mai, 1991. "Optimum Discriminatory Tariffs under Oligopolistic Competition," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 24(3), pages 693-702, August.
- James A. Brander & Barbara J. Spencer, 1984.
"Export Subsidies and International Market Share Rivalry,"
NBER Working Papers
1464, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brander, James A. & Spencer, Barbara J., 1985. "Export subsidies and international market share rivalry," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1-2), pages 83-100, February.
- Ethier, Wilfred J. & Horn, Henrik, 1990. "Managerial control of international firms and patterns of direct investment," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1-2), pages 25-45, February.
- Jonathan Eaton & Gene M. Grossman, 1983.
"Optimal Trade and Industrial Policy Under Oligopoly,"
NBER Working Papers
1236, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jonathan Eaton & Gene M. Grossman, 1986. "Optimal Trade and Industrial Policy Under Oligopoly," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 101(2), pages 383-406.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:intecj:v:13:y:1999:i:1:p:1-18. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.