Innovation and Dominant Design in Mobile Telephony
We document the evolution of product innovation and features in the mobile telephone handset market. We distinguish between two types of product innovation: vertical and horizontal innovation. Using data on mobile telephone handsets from 1990 to 2003, we study the emergence of a dominant design in vertical and horizontal innovations and find that, while vertical product characteristics converged to some extent, no dominant design emerged. For horizontal product characteristics, some horizontal innovations remained differentiated, whereas others were adopted in all new handset models, thus forming a dominant design in horizontal product features. We explain this pattern using the concept of dominant design and results from the theoretical literature on the incentives for horizontal and vertical differentiation.
Volume (Year): 14 (2007)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CIAI20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CIAI20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Heli Koski & Tobias Kretschmer, 2004.
"Survey on competing in network industries : firm strategies, market outcomes, and policy implications,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
803, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Heli Koski & Tobias Kretschmer, 2004. "Survey on Competing in Network Industries: Firm Strategies, Market Outcomes, and Policy Implications," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 4(1), pages 5-31, 03.
- Shaked, Avner & Sutton, John, 1982. "Relaxing Price Competition through Product Differentiation," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(1), pages 3-13, January.
- Reinganum, Jennifer R., 1982.
"Uncertain Innovation and the Persistence of Monopoly,"
431, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Reinganum, Jennifer F, 1983. "Uncertain Innovation and the Persistence of Monopoly," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(4), pages 741-48, September.
- Lehrer, Mark, 2004. "National lead markets and the design competition for 3G network applications," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 57(12), pages 1397-1401, December.
- Czarnitzki, Dirk & Kraft, Kornelius, 2004.
"An empirical test of the asymmetric models on innovative activity: who invests more into R&D, the incumbent or the challenger?,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 153-173, June.
- Czarnitzki, Dirk & Kraft, Kornelius, 2000. "An empirical test of the asymmetric models on innovative activity: who invests more into R&D - the incumbent or the challenger?," ZEW Discussion Papers 00-10, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Koski, Heli & Kretschmer, Tobias, 2002.
"Entry, Standards and Competition : Firm Strategies and the Diffusion of Mobile Telephony,"
824, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Heli Koski & Tobias Kretschmer, 2004. "Entry, Standards and Competition: Firm Strategies and the Diffusion of Mobile Telephony," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 89-113, November.
- Heli Koski & Tobias Kretschmer, 2005. "Entry, standards and competition : firm strategies and the diffusion of mobile telephony," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 801, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Gandal, Neil & Salant, David & Waverman, Leonard, 0. "Standards in wireless telephone networks," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(5-6), pages 325-332, June.
- Darren Filson, .
"Product and Process Innovations in the Life Cycle of an Industry,"
Claremont Colleges Working Papers
2000-30, Claremont Colleges.
- Filson, Darren, 2002. "Product and process innovations in the life cycle of an industry," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 49(1), pages 97-112, September.
- Rebecca Henderson, 1993. "Underinvestment and Incompetence as Responses to Radical Innovation: Evidence from the Photolithographic Alignment Equipment Industry," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 24(2), pages 248-270, Summer.
- Degryse, Hans, 1996. "On the Interaction between Vertical and Horizontal Product Differentiation: An Application to Banking," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(2), pages 169-86, June.
- repec:ner:tilbur:urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-72562 is not listed on IDEAS
- Degryse, H.A., 1996. "On the interaction between vertical and horizontal product differentiation : An application to banking," Other publications TiSEM 384e9355-ea79-4b3e-90cb-1, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Heli Koski & Tobias Kretschmer, 2004. "Competing in Network Industries--A Rejoinder," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 4(1), pages 67-69, 03.
- Geroski, Paul, 2003. "The Evolution of New Markets," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199248896, March.
- Robert Axelrod & Will Mitchell & Robert E. Thomas & D. Scott Bennett & Erhard Bruderer, 1995. "Coalition Formation in Standard-Setting Alliances," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(9), pages 1493-1508, September.
- Rosenkranz, Stephanie, 2003. "Simultaneous choice of process and product innovation when consumers have a preference for product variety," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 183-201, February.
- Neven, D. & Thisse, J-F., 1989. "On Quality And Variety Competition," CORE Discussion Papers 1989020, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Clayton M. Christensen & Fernando F. Suárez & James M. Utterback, 1998. "Strategies for Survival in Fast-Changing Industries," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(12-Part-2), pages S207-S220, December.
- Liikanen, Jukka & Stoneman, Paul & Toivanen, Otto, 2004. "Intergenerational effects in the diffusion of new technology: the case of mobile phones," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 22(8-9), pages 1137-1154, November.
- Tobias Kretschmer & Katrin Muehlfeld, 2004. "Co-opetition in Standard-Setting: The Case of the Compact Disc," Working Papers 04-14, NET Institute, revised Oct 2004.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:indinn:v:14:y:2007:i:3:p:305-324. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.