Levels of efficiency in UK retail banks: a DEA window analysis
This article utilizes DEA window analysis in order to investigate the relative efficiency levels of large UK retail banks during the period of transition 1982-1995. It finds that for the entire sample, the mean inefficiency levels are low in comparison to past studies, that the overall long run average efficiency trend is falling and that all banks in the study show reducing levels of efficiency over the entire time period. It then goes on to disaggregate efficiency into scale and pure technical efficiency and finds that: (1) scale inefficiencies dominate pure technical inefficiencies; (2) less big banks are more likely to report technical inefficiency and (3) during the 1990s banks with asset levels over Â£105bn suffer decreasing returns to scale
Volume (Year): 10 (2003)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CIJB20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CIJB20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Altunbas, Y. & Gardener, E. P. M. & Molyneux, P. & Moore, B., 2001. "Efficiency in European banking," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(10), pages 1931-1955, December.
- Piyu Yue, 1992. "Data envelopment analysis and commercial bank performance: a primer with applications to Missouri banks," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jan, pages 31-45.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997.
"Efficiency of Financial Institutions: International Survey and Directions for Future Research,"
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
97-05, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Berger, Allen N. & Humphrey, David B., 1997. "Efficiency of financial institutions: International survey and directions for future research," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 175-212, April.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Efficiency of financial institutions: international survey and directions for future research," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1997-11, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Gardener Edward & Howcroft Barry & Williams Jonathan, 1999. "The New Retail Banking Revolution," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(2), pages 83-100, April.
- Rangan, Nanda & Grabowski, Richard & Aly, Hassan Y. & Pasurka, Carl, 1988. "The technical efficiency of US banks," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 169-175.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- R J Colwell & E P Davis, 1992. "Output, Productivity and Externalities - the Case of Banking," Bank of England working papers 3, Bank of England.
- Berger, Allen N. & Hunter, William C. & Timme, Stephen G., 1993. "The efficiency of financial institutions: A review and preview of research past, present and future," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(2-3), pages 221-249, April.
- Hartman, Thomas E. & Storbeck, James E., 1996. "Input congestion in loan operations," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 413-421, December.
- Golany, B & Roll, Y, 1989. "An application procedure for DEA," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 237-250.
- Ferrier, Gary D. & Lovell, C. A. Knox, 1990. "Measuring cost efficiency in banking : Econometric and linear programming evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 229-245.
- J.K. Ashton, 2001. "Cost Efficiency Characteristics of British Retail Banks," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(2), pages 159-174, April.
- Leigh Drake, 2001. "Efficiency and productivity change in UK banking," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(5), pages 557-571.
- Drake, L & Howcroft, B, 1994. "Relative efficiency in the branch network of a UK bank: An empirical study," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 83-90, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:ijecbs:v:10:y:2003:i:3:p:305-322. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.