Levels of efficiency in UK retail banks: a DEA window analysis
This article utilizes DEA window analysis in order to investigate the relative efficiency levels of large UK retail banks during the period of transition 1982-1995. It finds that for the entire sample, the mean inefficiency levels are low in comparison to past studies, that the overall long run average efficiency trend is falling and that all banks in the study show reducing levels of efficiency over the entire time period. It then goes on to disaggregate efficiency into scale and pure technical efficiency and finds that: (1) scale inefficiencies dominate pure technical inefficiencies; (2) less big banks are more likely to report technical inefficiency and (3) during the 1990s banks with asset levels over Â£105bn suffer decreasing returns to scale
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 10 (2003)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CIJB20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CIJB20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- R J Colwell & E P Davis, 1992. "Output, Productivity and Externalities - the Case of Banking," Bank of England working papers 3, Bank of England.
- Golany, B & Roll, Y, 1989. "An application procedure for DEA," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 237-250.
- Gardener Edward & Howcroft Barry & Williams Jonathan, 1999. "The New Retail Banking Revolution," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(2), pages 83-100, April.
- Ferrier, Gary D. & Lovell, C. A. Knox, 1990. "Measuring cost efficiency in banking : Econometric and linear programming evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 229-245.
- Rangan, Nanda & Grabowski, Richard & Aly, Hassan Y. & Pasurka, Carl, 1988. "The technical efficiency of US banks," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 169-175.
- Altunbas, Y. & Gardener, E. P. M. & Molyneux, P. & Moore, B., 2001. "Efficiency in European banking," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(10), pages 1931-1955, December.
- Berger, Allen N. & Humphrey, David B., 1997.
"Efficiency of financial institutions: International survey and directions for future research,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 175-212, April.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Efficiency of financial institutions: international survey and directions for future research," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1997-11, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Efficiency of Financial Institutions: International Survey and Directions for Future Research," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-05, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Drake, L & Howcroft, B, 1994. "Relative efficiency in the branch network of a UK bank: An empirical study," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 83-90, January.
- Hartman, Thomas E. & Storbeck, James E., 1996. "Input congestion in loan operations," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 413-421, December.
- Piyu Yue, 1992. "Data envelopment analysis and commercial bank performance: a primer with applications to Missouri banks," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jan, pages 31-45.
- Leigh Drake, 2001. "Efficiency and productivity change in UK banking," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(5), pages 557-571.
- J.K. Ashton, 2001. "Cost Efficiency Characteristics of British Retail Banks," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 21(2), pages 159-174, April.
- Berger, Allen N. & Hunter, William C. & Timme, Stephen G., 1993. "The efficiency of financial institutions: A review and preview of research past, present and future," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(2-3), pages 221-249, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:ijecbs:v:10:y:2003:i:3:p:305-322. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.