Non-linear characteristics of the sterling/European Currency Unit exchange rate: 1984-1992
The behaviour of the Sterling/European Currency Unit (ECU) exchange rate is examined both during the time before Britain joined the European exchange rate mechanism (ERM) and during the time of Britain's membership. During the latter period, a GARCH (1, 1) model fits the data well but during the pre-ERM period there is evidence of significant non-linear - possibly chaotic - structure in the GARCH residuals. Analysis of the dominant Lyapunov exponents and correlation dimension for the pre-ERM period suggests that the data generation process may be chaotic and this is reinforced by the highly significant BDS statistics obtained for this sample period.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 3 (1997)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/REJF20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/REJF20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Scheinkman, Jose A & LeBaron, Blake, 1989. "Nonlinear Dynamics and Stock Returns," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 62(3), pages 311-37, July.
- Ramsey, J.B. & Sayers, C.L. & Rothman, P., 1988.
"The Statistical Properties Of Dimension Calculations Using Small Data Sets: Some Economic Applications,"
15, Houston - Department of Economics.
- Ramsey, James B & Sayers, Chera L & Rothman, Philip, 1990. "The Statistical Properties of Dimension Calculations Using Small Data Sets: Some Economic Applications," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 31(4), pages 991-1020, November.
- Ashley, Richard A & Patterson, Douglas M, 1989. "Linear versus Nonlinear Macroeconomies: A Statistical Test," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 30(3), pages 685-704, August.
- Richard Meese & Kenneth Rogoff, 1981. "Empirical exchange rate models of the seventies: are any fit to survive?," International Finance Discussion Papers 184, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Gerald P. Dwyer, Jr. & R.W. Hafer, 1988. "The stock market--bubbles, volatility and chaos : proceedings of the thirteenth annual Economic Policy Conference, held on October 21-22, 1988," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1987. "A Conditionally Heteroskedastic Time Series Model for Speculative Prices and Rates of Return," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 69(3), pages 542-47, August.
- repec:att:wimass:9520 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:eurjfi:v:3:y:1997:i:2:p:159-182. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.