Regularities in the equity price response to earnings announcements in Spain
This paper studies the market's reaction to 660 earnings announcements made during the period 1991-95 in Spain. This period starts shortly after the completion of the revision of Spanish financial accounting practices to bring them into line with EC requirements. As expected, we find that the earnings disclosures are accompanied by abnormal volatility; however, we also discover positive abnormal returns and an upward shift in beta. Furthermore, both expected and unexpected changes in earnings have explanatory power for abnormal returns accompanying earnings announcements - although this result is largely driven by the smaller firms in the sample. This evidence is consistent with a change in the risk-return relationship and with unsophisticated investors neglecting value-relevant information.
Volume (Year): 8 (1999)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/REAR20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/REAR20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cohen, Kalman J. & Hawawini, Gabriel A. & Maier, Steven F. & Schwartz, Robert A. & Whitcomb, David K., 1983. "Friction in the trading process and the estimation of systematic risk," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 263-278, August.
- Fama, Eugene F & French, Kenneth R, 1992. " The Cross-Section of Expected Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(2), pages 427-65, June.
- Lee, Charles M. C., 1992. "Earnings news and small traders : An intraday analysis," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(2-3), pages 265-302, August.
- Brown, Stephen J. & Warner, Jerold B., 1985. "Using daily stock returns : The case of event studies," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 3-31, March.
- Gibbons, Michael R., 1982. "Multivariate tests of financial models : A new approach," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 3-27, March.
- Carlos Ocaña & J. Ignacio Peña & Doloros Robles, 1997. "Preliminary Evidence on Takeover Target Returns in Spain: A Note," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(1), pages 145-153.
- Penman, Stephen H., 1984. "Abnormal returns to investment strategies based on the timing of earnings reports," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(3), pages 165-183, December.
- Araceli Mora & William Rees, 1998. "The early adoption of consolidated accounting in Spain," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(4), pages 675-696.
- Fried, Dov & Givoly, Dan, 1982. "Financial analysts' forecasts of earnings : A better surrogate for market expectations," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 85-107, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:euract:v:8:y:1999:i:4:p:585-607. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.