Explanatory factors for trading volume responses to annual earnings announcements: Evidence from the Korean stock market
This study provides empirical evidence regarding the effect of annual accounting earnings announcements on investors' trading behavior in the Korean stock market. Unexpected earnings (UE), the degree of predisclosure information asymmetry and risk change are hypothesized to have positive correlations with abnormal trading volume around the disclosure date. On the other hand, a negative relationship between firm size and trading volume around the disclosure date is hypothesized. Empirical studies using non-parametric testing procedures confirm most of the research hypotheses except for risk change effect.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hakansson, Nils H & Kunkel, J Gregory & Ohlson, James A, 1982.
" Sufficient and Necessary Conditions for Information to Have Social Value in Pure Exchange,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 37(5), pages 1169-81, December.
- Nils H. Hakansson & J. Gregory Kunkel & James A. Ohlson., 1981. "Sufficient and Necessary Conditions for Information to Have Social Value in Pure Exchange," Research Program in Finance Working Papers 122, University of California at Berkeley.
- Bowman, Robert G, 1979. "The Theoretical Relationship between Systematic Risk and Financial (Accounting) Variables," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 34(3), pages 617-30, June.
- Karpoff, Jonathan M, 1986. " A Theory of Trading Volume," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 41(5), pages 1069-87, December.
- Chongwoo Choe & Imad A Moosa, 1996.
"Financial System and Economic Growth: the Korean Experience,"
1996.08, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Choe, Chongwoo & Moosa, Imad A., 1999. "Financial System and Economic Growth: The Korean Experience," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 1069-1082, June.
- Fried, Dov & Givoly, Dan, 1982. "Financial analysts' forecasts of earnings : A better surrogate for market expectations," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 85-107, October.
- Bae, Kee-Hong, 1995. "Market segmentation and time variation in the price of risk: Evidence on the Korean stock market," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 1-29, May.
- repec:ltr:wpaper:1996.07 is not listed on IDEAS
- Choi, Jong-Seo & Choe, Chongwoo, 1998.
"Explanatory factors for trading volume responses to annual earnings announcements: Evidence from the Korean stock market,"
Pacific-Basin Finance Journal,
Elsevier, vol. 6(1-2), pages 193-212, May.
- Jong-Seo Choi & Chongwoo Choe, 1996. "Explanatory Factors for Trading Volume Responses to Annual Earnings Announcements: Evidence from the Korean Stock Market," Working Papers 1996.07, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Modigliani, Franco, 1982. " Debt, Dividend Policy, Taxes, Inflation and Market Valuation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 37(2), pages 255-73, May.
- Brown, Lawrence D & Rozeff, Michael S, 1978. "The Superiority of Analyst Forecasts as Measures of Expectations: Evidence from Earnings," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 33(1), pages 1-16, March.
- Kandel, Eugene & Pearson, Neil D, 1995. "Differential Interpretation of Public Signals and Trade in Speculative Markets," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(4), pages 831-72, August.
- Anat R. Admati, Paul Pfleiderer, 1988. "A Theory of Intraday Patterns: Volume and Price Variability," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 1(1), pages 3-40.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Brennan, M. J., 1971. "Capital Market Equilibrium with Divergent Borrowing and Lending Rates," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(05), pages 1197-1205, December.
- Lang, Larry H P & Litzenberger, Robert H & Madrigal, Vicente, 1992. "Testing Financial Market Equilibrium under Asymmetric Information," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(2), pages 317-48, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:pacfin:v:6:y:1998:i:1-2:p:193-212. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.