Robust estimates of daily seasonality in the Irish equity market
This article examines, in a robust manner, the question of whether or not an unusual form of daily seasonality existed in the Irish market. Previous studies have indicated that the pattern of such seasonality in Ireland differs from that found elsewhere. Other research indicates that daily seasonality may not exist at all. The findings are that after adjusting for sample size and taking into account the non-normality of the data, the evidence for daily seasonality in the Irish market is very weak. This is confirmed by resampling methods.
Volume (Year): 14 (2004)
Issue (Month): 7 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAFE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAFE20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sullivan, Ryan & Timmermann, Allan G & White, Halbert, 1998.
"Data-Snooping, Technical Trading Rule Performance and the Bootstrap,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1976, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ryan Sullivan & Allan Timmermann & Halbert White, 1999. "Data-Snooping, Technical Trading Rule Performance, and the Bootstrap," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 54(5), pages 1647-1691, October.
- Allan Timmermann & Halbert White & Ryan Sullivan, 1998. "Data-Snooping, Technical Trading, Rule Performance and the Bootstrap," FMG Discussion Papers dp303, Financial Markets Group.
- Madureira, Leonardo L. & Leal, Ricardo P. C., 2001. "Elusive anomalies in the Brazilian stock market," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 123-134.
- Paul Draper & Krishna Paudyal, 2002. "Explaining Monday Returns," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 25(4), pages 507-520.
- A.D. Clare & M.S.B. Ibrahim & S.H. Thomas, 1998. "The Impact of Settlement Procedures on Day-of-the-week Effects: Evidence from the Kuala Lumpur Stock Exchange," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 25(3&4), pages 401-418.
- Dubois, M. & Louvet, P., 1996. "The day-of-the-week effect: The international evidence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(9), pages 1463-1484, November.
- Zainudin Arsad & J. Andrew Coutts, 1997. "Security price anomalies in the London International Stock Exchange: a 60 year perspective," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(5), pages 455-464.
- Sullivan, Ryan & Timmermann, Allan & White, Halbert, 2001. "Dangers of data mining: The case of calendar effects in stock returns," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 105(1), pages 249-286, November.
- Kramer, Walter & Runde, Ralf, 1996. "Stochastic Properties of German Stock Returns," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 21(2), pages 281-306.
- Robert W. Faff, 2002. "The Impact of Stock Index Futures Trading on Daily Returns Seasonality: A Multicountry Study," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 75(1), pages 95-126, January.
- Lawrence R. Glosten & Ravi Jagannathan & David E. Runkle, 1993.
"On the relation between the expected value and the volatility of the nominal excess return on stocks,"
157, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Glosten, Lawrence R & Jagannathan, Ravi & Runkle, David E, 1993. " On the Relation between the Expected Value and the Volatility of the Nominal Excess Return on Stocks," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(5), pages 1779-1801, December.
- J. Andrew Coutts & Peter Hayes, 1999. "The weekend effect, the Stock Exchange Account and the Financial Times Industrial Ordinary Shares Index: 1987-1994," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(1), pages 67-71.
- Lakonishok, Josef & Levi, Maurice, 1982. " Weekend Effects on Stock Returns: A Note," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 37(3), pages 883-889, June.
- Chang, Eric C. & Pinegar, J. Michael & Ravichandran, R., 1993. "International Evidence on the Robustness of the Day-of-the-Week Effect," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 28(04), pages 497-513, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apfiec:v:14:y:2004:i:7:p:517-523. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.