An empirical analysis of income convergence in the European Union
In this article, we investigate the convergence process within the European Union. More particularly, we study the convergence process of the new entrants from Central and Eastern Europe and of the 15 Western countries between 1990 and 2007. Applying a panel approach to the convergence equation derived from the Solow model, we show that new entrants and former members of the European Union can be seen as belonging to different groups of convergence. The existence of heterogeneity in the European Union or the Eurozone might affect their stability as the recent Greece's sovereign debt crisis illustrates it.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 18 (2011)
Issue (Month): 17 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEL20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Evzen Kocenda & Ali M. Kutan & Taner M. Yigit, 2005.
"Pilgrims to the Eurozone: How Far, How Fast?,"
CERGE-EI Working Papers
wp279, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economics Institute, Prague.
- Michele Battisti & Gianfranco Vaio, 2008.
"A spatially filtered mixture of β-convergence regressions for EU regions, 1980–2002,"
Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 203-203, February.
- Michele Battisti & Gianfranco Di Vaio, 2008. "A spatially filtered mixture of β-convergence regressions for EU regions, 1980–2002," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 105-121, February.
- Durlauf, S.M. & Johnson, P.A., 1995.
"Multiple Regimes and Cross-Country Growth Behavior,"
9419r, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Durlauf, Steven N & Johnson, Paul A, 1995. "Multiple Regimes and Cross-Country Growth Behaviour," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(4), pages 365-84, Oct.-Dec..
- Durlauf, S.N. & Johnson, P.A., 1994. "Multiple Regimes and Cross-Country Growth Behavior," Working papers 9419, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Evans, Paul & Karras, Georgios, 1996. "Convergence revisited," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(2-3), pages 249-265, April.
- Bernard, A.B. & Durlauf, S.N., 1994.
"Interpreting Tests of the Convergence Hypothesis,"
9401r, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Nazrul Islam, 2003. "What have We Learnt from the Convergence Debate?," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 17(3), pages 309-362, 07.
- Galor, Oded, 1996.
"Convergence? Inferences from Theoretical Models,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1350, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Ingianni, Andrea & Žd’árek, Václav, 2009. "Real Convergence in the New Member States: Myth or Reality?," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 24, pages 294-320.
- Desdoigts, Alain, 1999. "Patterns of Economic Development and the Formation of Clubs," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 4(3), pages 305-30, September.
- Zbigniew Matkowski & Mariusz Próchniak, 2007. "Economic Convergence Between the CEE-8 and the European Union," Eastern European Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(1), pages 59-76, February.
- Nazrul Islam, 1995. "Growth Empirics: A Panel Data Approach," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 110(4), pages 1127-1170.
- Toni Mora, 2005. "Evidencing European regional convergence clubs with optimal grouping criteria," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(15), pages 937-940.
- Manfred Fischer & Claudia Stirböck, 2006. "Pan-European regional income growth and club-convergence," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 40(4), pages 693-721, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apeclt:v:18:y:2011:i:17:p:1705-1708. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.