The effect of war and other factors on Sri Lankan tourism
A number of articles have appeared in the literature analysing the factors that influence international tourism. This paper identifies the factors that affect tourist arrivals to Sri Lanka and the impact of the various disturbances due to the Tamils independence war (which commenced in 1983) and the introduction of the free-trade policy (in 1977) in Sri Lanka. It is found that the disturbances related to the war have led to a significant (about 21%) decline in international tourist arrivals to Sri Lanka. It was also found that the free-trade policy introduced in 1977 by the Sri Lankan government has had a significantly positive impact on increasing its international tourist arrivals. The results also show that the weaker the value of the Sri Lankan local currency with respect to the US dollar, the more attractive it is for international tourists. Furthermore, it was also found that the Sri Lankan consumer prices and world consumer income level have no significant impact on the number of international tourist arrivals to Sri Lanka.
Volume (Year): 14 (2007)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEL20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christine Lim & Michael McAleer, 2001. "Cointegration analysis of quarterly tourism demand by Hong Kong and Singapore for Australia," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(12), pages 1599-1619.
- N/A, 2004. "The World Economy," National Institute Economic Review, National Institute of Economic and Social Research, vol. 189(1), pages 8-36, July.
- Witt, Stephen F. & Witt, Christine A., 1995. "Forecasting tourism demand: A review of empirical research," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 447-475, September.
- Kulendran, N. & King, Maxwell L., 1997. "Forecasting international quarterly tourist flows using error-correction and time-series models," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 319-327, September.
- N/A, 2004. "The World Economy," National Institute Economic Review, National Institute of Economic and Social Research, vol. 187(1), pages 8-35, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apeclt:v:14:y:2007:i:1:p:35-38. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.