The efficacy of university training programmes: a semi-parametric Bayesian approach
A semi-parametric Bayesian methodology based on Cox's proportional hazards model is proposed in order to evaluate the efficacy of training programmes offered by the University of Zaragoza (Spain) in the labour market insertion process. To this end, a matched comparison group has been designed in which university students completing vocational training courses are compared with eligible non-participants especially chosen for their similarity to the former group in terms of the factors affecting future employment prospects. The study shows that training courses were generally effective for job market insertion of university leavers, increasing their chances of avoiding unemployment by around 6.56% for a standard course. Effectiveness depends, however, on the university leaver's professional career choice.
Volume (Year): 13 (2006)
Issue (Month): 8 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEL20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dolado, Juan J. & Felgueroso, Florentino & Jimeno, Juan F., 2000. "Youth labour markets in Spain: Education, training, and crowding-out," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(4-6), pages 943-956, May.
- S. Mcguinness, 2003. "Graduate overeducation as a sheepskin effect: evidence from Northern Ireland," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(5), pages 597-608.
- Dolton, Peter & Vignoles, Anna, 2000. "The incidence and effects of overeducation in the U.K. graduate labour market," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 179-198, April.
- Gritz, R. Mark, 1993. "The impact of training on the frequency and duration of employment," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 57(1-3), pages 21-51.
- Andrew Jenkins & Anna Vignoles & Alison Wolf & Fernando Galindo-Rueda, 2003. "The determinants and labour market effects of lifelong learning," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(16), pages 1711-1721.
- Alfonso Alba-Ramírez, 1993. "Mismatch in the Spanish Labor Market: Overeducation?," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 28(2), pages 259-278.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apeclt:v:13:y:2006:i:8:p:511-518. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.