The Relationship Between Military Spending and Black Market Premium in Greece: An ARDL Approach
Recently, there are a few empirical studies relating to the military spending and other macro variables such as real exchange rate, unemployment rates, investment rates, budget, and inflation rates. We examine the relationship between military spending and black market premium, in the Greece using the autoregressive distributed lag approach for the time period 1954–1998. Our results implied that higher military spending leads to higher black market premium and we concluded that while military spending does not Granger cause black market premium in the short run, black market premium does Granger cause military spending in the short run. When we examine the long-run results, ELC model implies that almost 30 % of the disequilibrium of the previous year’s shocks adjusts back to the long run equilibrium. Copyright Springer-Verlag Wien 2012
Volume (Year): 19 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/european+integration/journal/11300|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Biswas, Basudeb & Ram, Rati, 1986. "Military Expenditures and Economic Growth in Less Developed Countries: An Augmented Model and Further Evidence," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 34(2), pages 361-372, January.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2004.
"The Modern History of Exchange Rate Arrangements: A Reinterpretation,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 119(1), pages 1-48.
- Carmen M. Reinhart & Kenneth S. Rogoff, 2002. "The Modern History of Exchange Rate Arrangements: A Reinterpretation," NBER Working Papers 8963, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Reinhart, Carmen & Rogoff, Kenneth, 2004. "The modern history of exchange rate arrangements: A reinterpretation," MPRA Paper 14070, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Selami Sezgin, 2000. "A note on defence spending in turkey: New findings," Defence and Peace Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(2), pages 427-435.
- Selami Sezgin, 1997. "Country survey X: Defence spending in Turkey," Defence and Peace Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(4), pages 381-409.
- Mohsen Bahmani-Oskooee & Gour Goswami, 2006. "Military spending and the black market premium in developing countries," Review of Social Economy, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 64(1), pages 77-91.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Yongcheol Shin & Richard J. Smith, 2001. "Bounds testing approaches to the analysis of level relationships," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 16(3), pages 289-326.
- Bergstrand, Jeffrey H, 1992. "Real Exchange Rates, National Price Levels, and the Peace Dividend," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(2), pages 55-61, May.
- Pesaran, M. H. & Smith, Ron P., 1998. "Structural Analysis of Cointegrating VARs," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 9811, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Engle, Robert & Granger, Clive, 2015. "Co-integration and error correction: Representation, estimation, and testing," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 39(3), pages 106-135.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-276, March.
- Christos Kollias & Stelios Makrydakis, 2000. "A note on the causal relationship between defence spending and growth in Greece: 1955-93," Defence and Peace Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(1), pages 173-184.
- Byeongju Jeong, 2000. "Bad Policies Under an Autocrat's Production," CERGE-EI Working Papers wp159, The Center for Economic Research and Graduate Education - Economics Institute, Prague.
- Byeongju Jeong, 2001. "Bad Policies Under an Autocrat's Production," Public Economics 0012002, EconWPA.
- M. Hashem Pesaran & Ron P. Smith, 1998. "Structural Analysis of Cointegrating VARs," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(5), pages 471-505, December.
- Benoit, Emile, 1978. "Growth and Defense in Developing Countries," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(2), pages 271-280, January.
- Brauer, Jurgen, 2007. "Arms Industries, Arms Trade, and Developing Countries," Handbook of Defense Economics, Elsevier.
- Julide Yildirim & Selami Sezgin, 2003. "Military expenditure and employment in Turkey," Defence and Peace Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(2), pages 129-139.
- Jenn-Hong Tang & Cheng-Chung Lai & Eric Lin, 2009. "Military Expenditure And Unemployment Rates: Granger Causality Tests Using Global Panel Data," Defence and Peace Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(4), pages 253-267.
- Smith, R P, 1977. "Military Expenditure and Capitalism," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 1(1), pages 61-76, March. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:trstrv:v:19:y:2012:i:2:p:155-161. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.