Out-of-sample forecast errors in misspecific perturbed long memory processes
The correlogram is not a useful diagnosis tool in the presence of long-memory or long range depedent time series. The aim of this paper is to illustrate this claim by examining the relative increase in mean square forecast error from fitting a weakly stationary process to the series of interest hen in fact the true model is a so-called perturbed long-memory process recently introduced by Granger and Marmol (1997). This model has the property of being unidentifiable from a white noise process on the basis of the correlogram and the usual rule-of thumbs in the Box-Jenkins methodology. We prove that this kind of misspecification can lead to serious errors in terms of forecasting.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Volume (Year): 42 (2001)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/statistics/business/journal/362|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Smith, Jeremy & Taylor, Nick & Yadav, Sanjay, 1995. "Comparing the Bias and Misspecification in Arfima Models," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 442, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Smith, Jeremy & Yadav, Sanjay, 1994. "Forecasting costs incurred from unit differencing fractionally integrated processes," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 507-514, December.
- Breidt, F. Jay & Crato, Nuno & de Lima, Pedro, 1998. "The detection and estimation of long memory in stochastic volatility," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 83(1-2), pages 325-348.
- Andersson, Michael K., 1998. "On the Effects of Imposing or Ignoring Long Memory when Forecasting," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 225, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Marmol, Francesc & Granger, C.W.J. (Clive William John), 1998. "The correlogram of a long memory process plus a simple noise," DES - Working Papers. Statistics and Econometrics. WS 9820, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Estadística.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:stpapr:v:42:y:2001:i:4:p:423-436. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.