Optimal debt contracts under costly enforcement
We consider a financing game with costly enforcement based on Townsend (1979), but where monitoring is non-contractible and allowed to be stochastic. Debt is the optimal contract. Moreover, the debt contract induces creditor leniency and strategic defaults by the borrower on the equilibrium path, consistent with empirical evidence on repayment and monitoring behaviour in credit markets.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Volume (Year): 44 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00199/index.htm |
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bester, Helmut & Strausz, Roland, 2001. "Contracting with Imperfect Commitment and the Revelation Principle: The Single Agent Case," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 69(4), pages 1077-98, July.
- Gale, Douglas & Hellwig, Martin, 1989. "Repudiation and Renegotiation: The Case of Sovereign Debt," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 30(1), pages 3-31, February.
- Sanford J. Grossman & Motty Perry, 1986.
"Sequential Bargaining Under Asymmetric Information,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0056, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grossman, Sanford J. & Perry, Motty, 1986. "Sequential bargaining under asymmetric information," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 120-154, June.
- Townsend, Robert M., 1979.
"Optimal contracts and competitive markets with costly state verification,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 265-293, October.
- Robert Townsend, 1979. "Optimal contracts and competitive markets with costly state verification," Staff Report 45, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Merton, Robert C, 1974.
"On the Pricing of Corporate Debt: The Risk Structure of Interest Rates,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 449-70, May.
- Merton, Robert C., 1973. "On the pricing of corporate debt: the risk structure of interest rates," Working papers 684-73., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Pierre Mella-Barral & William R M Perraudin, 1993.
"Strategic Debt Service,"
CEPR Financial Markets Paper
0039, European Science Foundation Network in Financial Markets, c/o C.E.P.R, 77 Bastwick Street, London EC1V 3PZ..
- Guillaume Carlier & Ludovic Renou, 2005. "A costly state verification model with diversity of opinions," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 25(2), pages 497-504, 02.
- Krasa, Stefan & Villamil, Anne P, 1994. "Optimal Multilateral Contracts," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 4(2), pages 167-87, March.
- David Martimort & Lars Stole, 2001. "Common Agency Equilibria with Discrete Mechanisms and Discrete Types," CESifo Working Paper Series 572, CESifo Group Munich.
- G. Carlier & L. Renou, 2006.
"Debt contracts with ex-ante and ex-post asymmetric information: an example,"
Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 461-473, 06.
- Guillaume Carlier & Ludovic Renou, 2005. "Debt Contracts with ex-ante and ex-post Asymmetric Information: An Example," School of Economics Working Papers 2005-03, University of Adelaide, School of Economics.
- G. Carlier & L. Renou, 2005. "Debt contracts with ex-ante and ex-post asymmetric information: an example," Game Theory and Information 0502003, EconWPA.
- David T. Brown & Brian A. Ciochetti & Timothy J. Riddiough, 2006. "Theory and Evidence on the Resolution of Financial Distress," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 19(4), pages 1357-1397.
- Stefan Krasa & Anne P. Villamil, 2000. "Optimal Contracts when Enforcement Is a Decision Variable," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(1), pages 119-134, January.
- Border, Kim C & Sobel, Joel, 1987. "Samurai Accountant: A Theory of Auditing and Plunder," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(4), pages 525-40, October.
- Renou, Ludovic & Carlier, Guillaume, 2006. "Debt contracts with ex-ante and ex-post asymmetric information: an example," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/7447, Paris Dauphine University.
- Khalil, Fahad & Parigi, Bruno M, 1998. "Loan Size as a Commitment Device," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(1), pages 135-50, February.
- Stefan Krasa & Tridib Sharma & Anne Villamil, 2008. "Bankruptcy and firm finance," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 36(2), pages 239-266, August.
- Winton, Andrew, 1995. "Costly State Verification and Multiple Investors: The Role of Seniority," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 8(1), pages 91-123.
- Anderson, Ronald W & Sundaresan, Suresh, 1996. "Design and Valuation of Debt Contracts," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 9(1), pages 37-68.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:joecth:v:44:y:2010:i:1:p:149-165. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.