Economic freedom and the mispricing of single-state municipal bond closed-end funds
The Economic Freedom of North America Index (EFI) is a measure of the state-level institutional characteristics that promote economic activity. We use this index as a proxy for the degree of local market segmentation and test the hypothesis that single-state, municipal bond closed-end fund mispricing can be partially explained by a state’s EFI value. Using panel data analysis we find that EFI is significant in explaining observed variability in fund mispricing. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2013
Volume (Year): 37 (2013)
Issue (Month): 2 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/economics/journal/12197/PS2|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Steven F. Kreft & Russell S. Sobel, 2005. "Public Policy, Entrepreneurship, And Economic Freedom," Cato Journal, Cato Journal, Cato Institute, vol. 25(3), pages 595-616, Fall.
- Anita K. Pennathur & Natalya Delcoure & Dwight Anderson, 2002. "Diversification Benefits of iShares and Closed-End Country Funds," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 25(4), pages 541-557.
- Nathan Ashby & Russell Sobel, 2008.
"Income inequality and economic freedom in the U.S. states,"
Springer, vol. 134(3), pages 329-346, March.
- Nathan J. Ashby & Russell S. Sobel, 2006. "Income Inequality and Economic Freedom in the U.S. States," Working Papers 06-08 Classification-, Department of Economics, West Virginia University.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A & Schmukler, Sergio L, 2000.
"Country Funds and Asymmetric Information,"
International Journal of Finance & Economics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(3), pages 177-95, July.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A. & Schmukler, Sergio L., 1998. "Country funds and asymmetric information," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1886, The World Bank.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel & Sergio L. Schmukler, 1998. "Country Funds and Asymmetric Information," International Finance 9805003, EconWPA.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A. & Schmukler, Sergio L., 1997. "Country Funds and Asymmetric Information," Center for International and Development Economics Research, Working Paper Series qt2791c3wm, Center for International and Development Economics Research, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel and Sergio L. Schmukler., 1997. "Country Funds and Asymmetric Information," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers C97-087, University of California at Berkeley.
- Abdur Chowdhury, 1994. "The behaviour of closed-end country fund prices in the Asian NIEs," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 1(12), pages 219-222.
- Pontiff, Jeffrey, 1995. "Closed-end fund premia and returns Implications for financial market equilibrium," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 341-370, March.
- Edwin J. Elton & Martin J. Gruber & Jeffrey A. Busse, 1998. "Do Investors Care About Sentiment?," New York University, Leonard N. Stern School Finance Department Working Paper Seires 98-028, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business-.
- Nathan J. Ashby, 2007. "Economic Freedom and Migration Flows between U.S. States," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 73(3), pages 677–697, January.
- Charles Lee & Andrei Shleifer & Richard Thaler, 1990.
"Investor Sentiment and the Closed-End Fund Puzzle,"
NBER Working Papers
3465, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bonser-Neal, Catherine, et al, 1990. " International Investment Restrictions and Closed-End Country Fund Prices," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(2), pages 523-47, June.
- Elton, Edwin J & Gruber, Martin J & Busse, Jeffrey A, 1998. "Do Investors Care about Sentiment?," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 71(4), pages 477-500, October.
- Dilip K. Patro, 2005. "Stock Market Liberalization and Emerging Market Country Fund Premiums," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 78(1), pages 135-168, January.
- Kidwell, David S & Koch, Timothy W, 1983. "Market Segmentation and the Term Structure of Municipal Yields," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 15(1), pages 40-55, February.
- Kidwell, David S & Koch, Timothy W, 1982. " The Behavior of the Interest Rate Differential between Tax-Exempt Revenue and General Obligation Bonds: A Test of Risk Preferences and Market Segmentation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 37(1), pages 73-85, March.
- Jeffrey Pontiff, 1996. "Costly Arbitrage: Evidence from Closed-End Funds," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 111(4), pages 1135-1151.
- Nishiotis, George P., 2004. "Do Indirect Investment Barriers Contribute to Capital Market Segmentation?," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 39(03), pages 613-630, September.
- Gaspar, Jose-Miguel & Massa, Massimo, 2007. "Local ownership as private information: Evidence on the monitoring-liquidity trade-off," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 83(3), pages 751-792, March.
- Chiang, Thomas C. & Kim, Doseong & Lee, Euiseong, 2006. "Country-fund discounts and risk: Evidence from stock market volatility and macroeconomic volatility," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 58(4), pages 303-322.
- Samuel Kyle Jones & Michael Stroup, 2010. "Closed-end country fund premiums and economic freedom," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 20(21), pages 1639-1649.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1993. "Common risk factors in the returns on stocks and bonds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 3-56, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:jecfin:v:37:y:2013:i:2:p:173-187. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.