International trade in recycled materials in vertically related markets
This paper examines environmental effects of trade in recycled materials in a two-country model of international trade with a vertical structure. Downstream duopoly firms located in different countries can use recycled materials as an input to produce a recyclable final good. With heterogeneous recovery rates, the final good is recycled by upstream recycling duopoly firms located in each country. We first explore the conditions for the emergence of bilateral trade in the recycled materials and then examine the effects of liberalizing trade in the upstream as well as the downstream market on environmental damage. We show that, depending on the heterogeneity in the recovery rates between the two countries, trade liberalization in each vertically related market can be detrimental or beneficial to the environment. Copyright Springer 2012
Volume (Year): 14 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.seeps.org/|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jota Ishikawa & Barbara J. Spencer, 1996.
"Rent-Shifting Export Subsidies with an Imported Intermediate Product,"
NBER Working Papers
5458, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ishikawa, Jota & Spencer, Barbara J., 1999. "Rent-shifting export subsidies with an imported intermediate product," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 199-232, August.
- Grace, Richard & Turner, R. Kerry & Walter, Ingo, 1978. "Secondary materials and international trade," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 172-186, June.
- Joan Canton & Antoine Soubeyran & Hubert Stahn, 2008. "Environmental Taxation and Vertical Cournot Oligopolies: How Eco-industries Matter," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 40(3), pages 369-382, July.
- Bernhofen, Daniel M., 1995. "Price dumping in intermediate good markets," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1-2), pages 159-173, August.
- Greaker, Mads & Rosendahl, Knut Einar, 2008. "Environmental policy with upstream pollution abatement technology firms," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 246-259, November.
- Takayoshi Shinkuma & Shunsuke Managi, 2012. "Effectiveness of policy against illegal disposal of waste," Environmental Economics and Policy Studies, Society for Environmental Economics and Policy Studies - SEEPS, vol. 14(2), pages 123-145, April.
- Copeland, Brian R., 1991. "International trade in waste products in the presence of illegal disposal," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 143-162, March.
- Higashida, Keisaku & Jinji, Naoto, 2006.
"Strategic use of recycled content standards under international duopoly,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 242-257, March.
- Higashida, Keisaku & Jinji, Naoto, 2005. "Strategic Use of Recycled Content Standards under International Duopoly," Discussion Papers 2004-12, Graduate School of Economics, Hitotsubashi University.
- Hamilton, Stephen F. & Requate, Till, 2004.
"Vertical structure and strategic environmental trade policy,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 260-269, March.
- Stephan F. Hamilton & Till Requate, 2001. "Vertical Structure and Strategic Environmental Trade Policy," CESifo Working Paper Series 594, CESifo Group Munich.
- Thomas Eichner & Rüdiger Pethig, 1999.
"Product Design and efficient Management of Recycling and Waste Treatment,"
76-99, Universität Siegen, Fakultät Wirtschaftswissenschaften, Wirtschaftsinformatik und Wirtschaftsrecht.
- Eichner, Thomas & Pethig, Rudiger, 2001. "Product Design and Efficient Management of Recycling and Waste Treatment," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 109-134, January.
- Hajime Sugeta & Shigeru Matsumoto, 2007. "Upstream and downstream pollution taxations in vertically related markets with imperfect competition," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 38(3), pages 407-432, November.
- Thomas Eichner, 2005. "Imperfect Competition In The Recycling Industry," Metroeconomica, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(1), pages 1-24, 02.
- James Cassing & Thomas Kuhn, 2003. "Strategic Environmental Policies when Waste Products are Tradable," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(3), pages 495-511, 08.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:envpol:v:14:y:2012:i:4:p:357-382. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.