The Envelope Theorem for Locally Differentiable Nash Equilibria of Discounted and Autonomous Infinite Horizon Differential Games
The envelope theorem is extended to cover the class of discounted and autonomous infinite horizon differential games that possess locally differentiable Nash equilibria. The theorems cover open-loop and feedback information structures and are applied to an analytically solvable linear-quadratic game. The linear-quadratic structure permits additional insight into the theorems that is not available in the general case. With open-loop information, for example, the costate variable is shown to uniformly overstate the shadow value of the state variable, but the growth rates of the two are identical. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2012
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 2 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com/economics/journal/13235|
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dockner Engelbert J. & Van Long Ngo, 1993. "International Pollution Control: Cooperative versus Noncooperative Strategies," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 13-29, July.
- Miller, Marcus & Salmon, Mark, 1983.
"Dynamic Games and the Time Inconsistency of Optimal Policy in Open Economies,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
232, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Miller, Marcus & Salmon, Mark, 1985. "Dynamic Games and the Time Inconsistency of Optimal Policy in Open Economies," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 95(380a), pages 124-37, Supplemen.
- Miller, Marcus & Salmon, Mark, 1984. "Dynamic Games and the Time Inconsistency of Optimal Policy in Open Economies," CEPR Discussion Papers 27, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- List, John A. & Mason, Charles F., 2001. "Optimal Institutional Arrangements for Transboundary Pollutants in a Second-Best World: Evidence from a Differential Game with Asymmetric Players," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 277-296, November.
- Van Gorder, Robert A. & Caputo, Michael R., 2010. "Envelope theorems for locally differentiable open-loop Stackelberg equilibria of finite horizon differential games," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 34(6), pages 1123-1139, June.
- Caputo, Michael R., 1998. "A dual vista of the Stackelberg duopoly reveals its fundamental qualitative structure," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 333-352, May.
- Cohen, Daniel & Michel, Philippe, 1988. "How Should Control Theory Be Used to Calculate a Time-Consistent Government Policy?," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(2), pages 263-74, April.
- Caputo, Michael R., 1996. "The Envelope Theorem and Comparative Statics of Nash Equilibria," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 201-224, April.
- Groot, F. & Withagen, C.A.A.M. & de Zeeuw, A.J., 2003.
"Strong time-consistency in the cartel-versus-fringe model,"
Other publications TiSEM
5ba46a2e-d763-4a8c-939b-3, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Groot, Fons & Withagen, Cees & de Zeeuw, Aart, 2003. "Strong time-consistency in the cartel-versus-fringe model," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 287-306, November.
- Groot, A.M. & Withagen, C.A.A.M. & de Zeeuw, A.J., 1996. "Strong Time-Consistency in the Cartel-versus-Fringe Model," Discussion Paper 1996-22, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Engwerda, J.C., 2000. "Feedback Nash equilibria in the scalar infinite horizon LQ-Game," Other publications TiSEM 58ccf964-4ca1-4d67-9a68-a, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Caputo, Michael R., 2007. "The envelope theorem for locally differentiable Nash equilibria of finite horizon differential games," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 198-224, November.
- Dockner,Engelbert J. & Jorgensen,Steffen & Long,Ngo Van & Sorger,Gerhard, 2000. "Differential Games in Economics and Management Science," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521637329.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:dyngam:v:2:y:2012:i:3:p:313-334. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.