The forecasting performance of mortality models
Mortality projections are of special interest in many applications. For example, they are essential in life insurances to determine the annual contributions of their members as well as for population predictions. Due to their importance, there exists a huge variety of mortality forecasting models from which to seek the best approach. In the demographic literature, statements about the quality of the various models are mostly based on empirical ex-post examinations of mortality data for very few populations. On the basis of such a small number of observations, it is impossible to precisely estimate statistical forecasting measures. We use Monte Carlo (MC) methods here to generate time trajectories of mortality tables, which form a more comprehensive basis for estimating the root-mean-square error (RMSE) of different mortality forecasts. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2013
Volume (Year): 97 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
Web page: http://www.dstatg.de/de/startseite/
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/statistics/journal/10182/PS2|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hendrik Hansen & Peter Pflaumer, 2011. "Zur Prognose der Lebenserwartung in Deutschland: Ein Vergleich verschiedener Verfahren," AStA Wirtschafts- und Sozialstatistisches Archiv, Springer;Deutsche Statistische Gesellschaft - German Statistical Society, vol. 5(3), pages 203-219, December.
- Börsch-Supan, Axel & Heiss, Florian & Winter, Joachim, 2000.
"Pension reform, capital markets, and the rate of return,"
589, Institut fuer Volkswirtschaftslehre und Statistik, Abteilung fuer Volkswirtschaftslehre.
- Axel Boersch-Supan & Florian Heiss & Alexander Ludwig & Joachim Winter, 2003. "Pension Reform, Capital Markets and the Rate of Return," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 4(2), pages 151-181, 05.
- Börsch-Supan, Axel H. & Heiss, Florian & Ludwig, Alexander & Winter, Joachim, 2003. "Pension reform, capital markets and the rate of return," Munich Reprints in Economics 20200, University of Munich, Department of Economics.
- Florian Heiss & Alexander Ludwig & Joachim Winter, 2002. "Pension reform, capital markets, and the rate of return," MEA discussion paper series 02023, Munich Center for the Economics of Aging (MEA) at the Max Planck Institute for Social Law and Social Policy.
- Booth, H. & Tickle, L., 2008. "Mortality Modelling and Forecasting: a Review of Methods," Annals of Actuarial Science, Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(1-2), pages 3-43, September.
- Heather Booth & Rob J Hyndman & Leonie Tickle & Piet de Jong, 2006.
"Lee-Carter mortality forecasting: a multi-country comparison of variants and extensions,"
Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers
13/06, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Heather Booth & Rob Hyndman & Leonie Tickle & Piet de Jong, 2006. "Lee-Carter mortality forecasting: a multi-country comparison of variants and extensions," Demographic Research, Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany, vol. 15(9), pages 289-310, October.
- Hatzopoulos, P. & Haberman, S., 2009. "A parameterized approach to modeling and forecasting mortality," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 103-123, February.
- Bernhard Babel & Eckart Bomsdorf & Rafael Schmidt, 2008. "Forecasting German mortality using panel data procedures," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 21(3), pages 541-555, July.
- Koissi, Marie-Claire & Shapiro, Arnold F. & Hognas, Goran, 2006. "Evaluating and extending the Lee-Carter model for mortality forecasting: Bootstrap confidence interval," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 1-20, February.
- Pflaumer, Peter, 1988. "Confidence intervals for population projections based on Monte Carlo methods," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 135-142.
- Han Lin Shang & Rob J Hyndman & Heather Booth, 2010. "A comparison of ten principal component methods for forecasting mortality rates," Monash Econometrics and Business Statistics Working Papers 8/10, Monash University, Department of Econometrics and Business Statistics.
- Olivieri, Annamaria, 2001. "Uncertainty in mortality projections: an actuarial perspective," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 231-245, October.
- Stephan Boes & Peter Pflaumer, 2006. "University student enrollment forecasts by analysis structural ratios using ARIMA-methods," AStA Advances in Statistical Analysis, Springer;German Statistical Society, vol. 90(2), pages 253-271, June.
- Brouhns, Natacha & Denuit, Michel & Vermunt, Jeroen K., 2002. "A Poisson log-bilinear regression approach to the construction of projected lifetables," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 373-393, December.
- John Wilmoth & Shiro Horiuchi, 1999. "Rectangularization revisited: Variability of age at death within human populations," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 36(4), pages 475-495, November.
- Emmanuela Gakidou & Gary King, 2006. "Death by survey: Estimating adult mortality without selection bias from sibling survival data," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 43(3), pages 569-585, August.
- Wolfgang Reichmuth & Samad Sarferaz, 2008. "Bayesian Demographic Modeling and Forecasting: An Application to U.S. Mortality," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2008-052, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Ronald Lee & Timothy Miller, 2001. "Evaluating the performance of the lee-carter method for forecasting mortality," Demography, Springer;Population Association of America (PAA), vol. 38(4), pages 537-549, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:alstar:v:97:y:2013:i:1:p:11-31. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.